Lucozade Sport

Lucozade Sport

Review of "Lucozade Sport"

published 01/10/2007 | CezaWeza
Member since : 08/06/2006
Pro Nice taste, seems to work
Cons Can be quite expensive

"Lucozade.. Just expensive orange squash?"

I have been taking a good hard look at myself and realised that I have put on quite a bit of weight this last year so something must be done! I need to cut out the junk food and start exercising more.. Unfortunately, I am probably the least sporty person in the world and don't find working out interesting at all! Lucozade has always been a drink I've avoided as I've always associated it with those crazy people who like to keep-fit and play sport. But now I've started to go to the gym to try and tone up a bit I decided to try it as I need all the help I can get energywise! Since I first tried it, I've also started buying it to drink at work to help me get through the day when I'm lacking in energy a little.

I should point out that the bottle I'm looking at now is completely different to the one in the photo on here. The bottle has a 'sports' top, one that you pop out and then suck rather than unscrew. This is handy when you're at the gym as you can pick it up easily and have a drink when you're on a machine and not have to stop and get off. The packaging is quite distinctive and easy to find in the shop, it's strange because I've never really noticed it before but since I started buying it I've seen it everywhere! The bottle is 500ml and the design is quite nice. The colours are blue and orange with yellow and white font. The bottle itself is made of plastic and has an athlete embossed on it. There is a sticker round the bottom of the bottle with all the normal logos and writing you get on bottles. There are logos telling you that Lucozade is the 'Official drink' of the Premier League, London Marathon and Great Run amongst others, which sounds pretty encouraging!

According to the bottle, 'Lucozade Sport has been scientifically formulated to deliver essential carbohydrate, fluid and electrolytes to help fuel your performance and maintain hydration - giving you a performance edge when it matters most.'

This drink comes in 5 flavours, orange, mixed citrus, raspberry, tropical and Caffeine Boost and they are all still (non-sparkling). My flavour of choice is orange, which must be the most popular choice as it's the only one that's always in the shops. The taste is nice, and very familiar.. It tastes like orange squash, very expensive orange squash at that. I really like it, it has a sweet tang to it which makes me want to drink it more and more! A lot of people have told me they don't like the taste of it, I can't understand why as it's gorgeous. I can only assume they are confusing it with the original flavour which is a lot stronger and not so nice in my opinion. I don't just drink it at the gym now, I often drink it at work as I find it wakes me up a little.

The Nutritional Info -
Values are per 100ml-
28 kcal
Carbohydrate - 6.4g(of which sugars 3.5g)
Fat - Nil

Lucozade costs about £1 on average, but I've of course it varies from shop to shop.

When drinking Lucozade at the gym I've found that it does give me more energy, it makes me more proactive and more willing to push myself when I would probably otherwise have given up. This may sound a little strange but it gives me more confidence just being there as it feels like I have something 'helping me'.

To sum up, this is definitely a drink I'd recommend. It loses a star however for being quite expensive! It does seem to work and as I like it a lot I will continue to drink it.

• Gladiator007 published 04/04/2009
    great review..:)
  • bluejules published 10/11/2007
    I like this and drink it occassionally. Great review. Jules x
  • jomarley2 published 26/10/2007
    Great review, i do drink this from time to time though not for exercise purposes. EXERCISE - DON'T SWEAR AT ME! it drink it merely to quench my thirst! jo : )