mumsymary 4

mumsymary

Member since:23.09.2002

Video reviews:1

A good furniture shop in Aylesbury

19.04.2010

Advantages:
Stocks well made furniture

Disadvantages:
Expensive

36 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. karimkha
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. anonymili
  3. paulpry118

My three piece suite was many, many years old and looking shabby it had lost its firmness and support. Our three piece suite had withstood many upsets, tears, tea and squash. Had supported much weight and the clamouring of children on its arms and on its backs as well as the staid sitting of the older generation. So it was time to bid farewell.

We noted that a lot of furniture shops had sales on so armed with measurements we went searching. First we were lured into some of the cheaper furniture warehouses and were really not satisfied with the look, the colour, the comfort or the potential durability.
Or last three piece suite had lasted 26 years so we felt that if we were to buy a good well made suite from a good company as we had the last one, then with the family grown up it should last us our senior years.
So we visited Lucus world of furniture in Aylesbury .

Lucus World of furniture is situated on Rabans Lane just of the A41 Bicester road on the Edge of Aylesbury.

When you turn of Rabans lane towards the car parking at the back of the store you notice there are 2 showrooms one either side of the entrance road. Parking is adequate but not ample.
I have previously been in both showrooms looking at different types of furniture and think they have a fair range.

We went into showroom 2 as we were looking for a three piece suite and that’s where they are displayed. Lucus sell living room furniture, dinning room furniture, kitchen furniture, bedroom furniture, office furniture and many sundries. There is a floor space of over 3o.ooo sq metres in these showrooms there are 2 floors lift available if you need it.

Although there is a lot of it the furniture is laid out fairly well some of it into rooms some of it as a group of specific types of furniture. We walked around and sat on some of the sofas on chairs. A lady assistant came and asked us if we needed any help, we told her we were looking at 3 piece suites and we were nosing around and would come back in a bit to her for information about sizing when we had finished looking.

Now the furniture in this shop is not cheap you are talking about from just under 2 to 3 thousand pounds for a Sofa and £6 00 to over £1000 for an arm chair. Fortunately we were looking at sale prices and although still expensive a little less than full price. We would not normally have the £4000 that it did cost us for the three piece suite but Dad had recently died and left us quite a bit of money so we decided to buy good quality furniture. We walked around the shop dismissing some of the sofas not to our taste, we found a couple 1 in particular that we liked we continued to browse on, sitting on several checking out the comfort, after completing a couple of circuits we sat on the three piece suite that we liked talked about it would it fit what fabrics and colours. The assistant came to see if we needed any help she showed us where the alternate fabric swatches were and offered a cup of tea and a few biscuits.

We accepted the tea, hubby and I worked out the price. We decided although it was a lot more than the £1000 for a suite at some other furniture warehouses. The quality and style was so much better. We looked through the fabrics and decided on the one wee wanted. Our sitting room is difficult with strange corners and angles. Furniture is designed for standard rooms with straight walls and square corners a lot of modern furniture is huge with big cushions too big. Then the sizing now we wanted a small 3 seater sofa, a 2 seater too small a standard 3 seater too large. The design we choose had this option.
The sales assistant helpful but not too in our faces, I hate that makes me run a mile.

We were advised that it would be 6 weeks before we got our furniture as They had none of our precise requirements in stock, I believe that the furniture is possibly made or at least upholstered when ordered ..
We gave Lucus a deposit the remainder to be paid a week or two before delivery.

A few days later we received a call from the shop and we were told that regrettably they diodes not have the fabric that we required immediately. It would take another 5 or 6 weeks on top of the original 6 week wait. We could cancel our order change the fabric or wait we decided to wait we were not in a rush. About 10 days ago we paid the final payment and booked a delivery time.
As you can imagine working in education one can not easily not go to work because you are having furniture delivered so we arranged a Saturday delivery.
We asked for an early delivery so we were not hanging around all day . The day before delivery we were phoned to tell us the furniture would arrive at is fantastic I rise early anyway and we would not have to spend the rest of the day hanging around waiting.

So about 10 past 8 a red lorry with Lucus written on the side draws up outrside, two men get out, the doorbell rings one man checks it is the right house and delivery.
They put some Hessian type matting on my carpets from the front door into the lounge so that they do not get mud and water into the house; it was a foul wet morning.

The two of them get the furniture out of the van; I hold my house doors completely open. The furniture just fits through the door into the sitting room. It’s not easy as it’s a slim hall with right angled doors. The men take the thick plastic covering off the three piece suite and poasition it where I requested,
The delivery was on time they were quick and efficient. I check the furniture , satisfied I sign the invoice and the delivery men depart it took them less than 15 minutes .

We rearranged and positioned the cushions sat on our new furniture and were satisfied.

Lucus furniture shop has been established since 1898 it sells good quality modern and traditional furniture. It is a family run furniture shop selling quality furniture. I would certainly recommend looking there if you are after furniture.

There is a web site http://www.lucas-world.co.uk if you want to browse Monday to Friday If you visit the store it is open Monday-Friday 9.00am - 5.30pm
Saturday 9.30am - 6.00pm
Sunday & Bank Holidays 10.00am - 5.00pm

paulpry118 23.04.2010 23:34

I think I would rather go to a shop like this, our last 3 piece lasted us about 15 years and we gave it to somebody who is still using it now, this new set we have will be lucky if it lasts 5 years.

mythdata 20.04.2010 14:38

Sounds like a very reliable company.:O)

liolia79 20.04.2010 13:21