funphobic... 4

funphobic2

About me: ♥♥ It's been while...but I'm back and expecting my first child in June! ♥♥

Member since:25.10.2003

Coco-licious Butterball!

13.09.2005

Advantages:
smells nice, works a treat

Disadvantages:
leaves oily residue, pricey

17 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Zedex
  2. Amazingwoo
  3. Vickytoria
and a further member
  1. supersexycoolchick1
  2. chocoholic
  3. danielalong

Everyone knows I love my pampering bath time treats as the numerous beauty product reviews that I have written show. Lush, being one of my favoured brands has some gorgeous smelling goodies that I could spend a fortune on. But, my favourite Lush product is the coco butterball bath ballistic (try saying that without your teeth in!) And here's why….

***Tell me all about this Lush then***
Lush originated in the late 70's when in 1978 the team sold its first product to the Body Shop. In 1988 Cosmetics to Go was launched in Poole, Dorset, where Bath Bombs, Shampoo Bars and Massage Bars were invented. However, it wasn't until 1994 after Cosmetics to Go went under, Lush was launched with huge success, and today they have 100+ shops around the world, also operating mail order businesses from the UK, Canada, Australia, Italy, and Japan. The great thing about Lush is that they handmake their cosmetics in their own production facilities, so that every product available in the shops or sent by mail is as fresh as it can possibly be. It is also great to say that Lush is also very strongly against animal testing, which so few cosmetic companies are.

*** Why is this bath ballistic so good? ***
Lush produce a number of bath ballistics (otherwise known as bath bombs) that vary in ingredients and smells. They are designed to suit specific needs. For example, the coco butter ballistic is designed to moisturise your skin. However, whereas others are great just for pampering, and generally nice smelling, this ballistic has a more prominent purpose which it carries out very effectively.

*** What does it look like? ***
Like a little ball of heaven! It's basically a cream coloured smallish solid ball of a talc like substance with little bits of coco butter edged in. It's not one of the most colourful ballistics, and it is not one of the largest bath ballistics that Lush produces (90g as opposed to 200g). But that doesn't take away anything from its quality. (You know what they say, it's not the size that counts!) However one ball is plenty for one bath.

*** How does it work? ***
I find that if I am going to pamper myself, I might as well go the whole hog. So out comes the candles, soft music and path pillow and I just sit back and let the stress melt away. Now you have the atmosphere sorted, put the ball in hot water and have fun watching it fizzle away. I find it spreads easier if you put the ball directly under the tap, otherwise you'll end up with half the ball up one end! Once it is dissolved, you'll see the brown bits in the ball have melted and risen to the surface of the water, which looks a little oily. This is the gorgeous coco butter that will absorb into your skin. I must say it's not the most attractive looking bath, but it really does work! Mind your step once you've got in the bath as it will be slippery!

***What's it like to the nose?***
Some people are not too fond of its smell, however I love it! It's a very strong sweet smell which would be the coca butter and vanilla extracts, and a subtle hint of ylang ylang which is very relaxing.

*** What's it like on the skin? ***
Wonderful! My skin always feels instantly smooth, not as greasy as you would imagine considering the amount of oil in the bath. The coca butter just melts into the skin. I find that I don't even need to moisturise after the bath which I would normally do.

*** Who can you use it?***
Absolutely anybody! Infact kids will probably have more fun than you with this! However, if you or your child has sensitive skin, or you are pregnant, I would recommend consulting a doctor before use as the product contains essential oils, which can cause a reaction.

*** How much will it set me back?***
£1.90 to be precise. Compared to the other bath ballistics this is quite expensive as it is considerably smaller in size. However, it is great for a night of pampering and worth the cost considering its effect.

*** Surely there must be some drawbacks?***
Unfortunately yes. When draining the water from the oil sticks to the bath. Being a bit of a clean freak I was not impressed, however it is very easy to wipe off which I do anyway after a bath. So it is great for the occasional use.

***Ok, I'm sold! Where can I buy one? ***
Check out your local lush store. However, if you don't live near a lush store, you can also purchase products online through www.lush.co.uk. There is a charge for delivery so make it worthwhile! I prefer to visit a store as you can sift through all the lovely smells, however if you are buying a gift or know what you want then head for the PC.

*** To round up…***
The coco butterball ballistic is a fantastic product, great for the occasional pampering treat if your skin is feeling worse for wear, or you just need a quick fix boost. It not only smells great, it really does work and anyone can use it, and have fun! The only downside is that it leaves an oily residue in the bath, which on the upside can be wiped off very easily.

Thanks for reading x

salem_witch 01.02.2006 13:54

This is one of the ones I bought. I used it yesterday and wish I had bought more now! If I go into cetral London this weekend (which I doubt) I'll get a few more!

Zedex 02.12.2005 18:34

Great review - everything we need to know. This sound lush (<groan>!). I have to try it.

srushsa 20.10.2005 17:42

Sounds like a lovely treat! Great review, sara x