Review of "Lush Chocolate Whipstick Lip Balm"

published 21/12/2017 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Journalling more for myself than anything else now, so I don't expect reads or rates!
Pro Lovely lip balm
Cons Tin
Absorbency

"A Lush Lip Balm"

Lush Chocolate Whipstick Lip Balm

Lush Chocolate Whipstick Lip Balm

A sumptuous feast for thirsty lips, Whipstick licks them into shape with a blend of rich butters, beeswax, honey and cocoa absolute.

Lush products have slowly but surely wormed their way into most sections of my life in one way or another; the perfumes take over my bedside cabinet, the bubble bars have a box under the bed, the soaps are upstairs and downstairs and even never yet opened awaiting the use of the last bar. It should therefore probably not be that much of a surprise that I have somehow found myself with not one but two of their lip balms. Whipstick is one of them.

Whipstick is a moisturising lip balm which smells like chocolate orange which in itself has to be a good thing. Despite the rather insane pricing of the lip balms, I actually own two of them; this one and None Of Your Beeswax and I must say that I actively prefer this one for many reasons although the scent of it is certainly one of them. It smells divine and melts easily onto your fingers to spread onto your lips. The scent of chocolate orange lingers under my nose for at least an hour after applying unless I accidentally lick it off, in which case it doesn’t quite last as long. It doesn’t quite taste like a chocolate orange, which is good as otherwise it wouldn’t last long, but it doesn’t taste unpleasant.

The other reason I prefer it to the None Of Your Beeswax is because the consistency is far richer and smoother than it’s vegan counterpart and with a far less greasy feel. Don’t get me wrong, I quite like None Of Your Beeswax, but the texture is definitely weird. Whipstick feels actively moisturising rather than greasy and makes my lips feel truly soft and luxurious. It says something that when my fiancé wants to steal a lip balm, this is the one that he goes for on exactly the same basis. Which reminds me, I need to snaffle it back from him again. It doesn’t melt as easily in the tin as None of Your Beeswax although it melts easily to the finger to apply to the lips.

There can also be no complaints about the ingredients as all bar one are completely natural, although I’ve mentioned before this doesn’t bother me except in relation to the price. When you market yourself as natural and price products accordingly, you should be pretty darn natural and Lush don’t necessarily manage that. However, the only unnatural ingredient here is the rather vague Flavour which could in honesty be virtually anything. Other than that you have the real, natural, deal.

Fair Trade Shea Butter is a moisturising agent which is gentle, nourishing and easily absorbed, Almond Oil is conditioning and packed with vitamin E whilst beeswax is moisturising and gives a rich emollient quality as well as a waterproof barrier. Honey is moisturising and antibacterial and along with Oatmeal calms and soothes cracked lips. Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a softening agent along with Organic Wheatgerm Oil and both are said to be high in Vitamin E. Glycerine carries effective ingredients into the skin where their beneficial effects can be used.

And then for the really interesting ingredients; Dark Chocolate for scent and flavour, Tangerine Oil and Sweet Orange Oil for the scent which is additionally uplifting and toning apparently. The combination makes a mean chocolate orange though. Vanilla Absolute again for scent and for its soothing qualities plus Cocoa Absolute for its rich chocolately aroma. Finally Limonene has a sweet lemon like odour and Linalool has a soft, sweet aroma.

For 12g of product you are looking at paying £6.95, although this sounds a lot, it's actually a reduction in cost per gram as it used to be £5.95 for 8g!

My only other complaint would be packaging; much like the move to a tin for the solid perfumes this is slightly baffling as I do believe it would be much better in a stick format. With the perfumes I have actual experience of this and will say hands down that the stick format is far superior to the tin format, and I do think it would work better here as well. Anything so you don’t have to get product on your fingers and under your nails; you could apply straight to your lips which is just hassle free.

Do I Recommend?

Yes, this is a lovely lip balm that is easy to spread, of a rich and moisturising consistency and smells utterly divine. It would be a five star product but I’ve knocked a star off for the price of the product which is steep as hell even considering how long it lasts and the packaging which is rather daft when a stick format would be far more practical.

• anonymili published 29/12/2017
    Not sure I'd like this personally :)
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 26/12/2017