Review of "Lush Cupcake Facial Mask"

published 03/04/2008 | Alican
Member since : 08/10/2003
Pro Wonderful smell, noticeably softer and healthier skin
Cons Not the cheapest face mask, tempting to eat it

"Chocolate isn't just for eating"

Being a bit of a lushaholic, I decided to treat myself to a facemask for a girly evening with my sister. Going in the shop, you are bombarded with choice - the range of fresh face masks is quite extensive, but the assistants are very helpful and guided me towards cupcake for my skin type, plus it smells absolutely divine.

So, I get home and go to apply my lovely new face mask. This is basically just a case of slapping it on to clean skin on the face and neck. I found the texture quite thick, and so this was slightly more tricky than with other face masks I have used in the past, but the smell more than made up for this. It actually smelt like I was rubbing chocolate on to my face, not the cheap synthetic chocolatey smell that chocolate scented products tend to use. It was at time difficult not to eat it!

So, face mask on, I went and relaxed for about fifteen minutes until it was ready to wash off. As with most face masks it did do that slightly uncomfortable drying on the face, so by the end you can hardly move, but this is to be expected. I also noticed that it was fairly tricky to wash off, and being a dark chocolatey colour also made the flannel look quite revolting! The smell however remained until I washed it off, wheras I have noticed with other products this is not the case.

I did notice beneficial results with cupcake face mask, my skin looked fresher and healthier for a couple of days afterwards, as well as feeling very soft. I can't say that I noticed any particular improvements in terms of blemishes and blocked pores, but I wouldn't be surprised if, with more applications, it did start to help in this area.

Storage of the product is also an important thing to mention. Being a fresh face mask, it has to be used within 3 weeks, and also has to be stored in the fridge. Be careful with this though - one of my housemates was tempted to eat some thinking it was chocolate flavoured spread or something, as it really does look and smell good enough to eat!

So it isn't the cheapest face mask on the market at £6.45 for a 75g pot. But I believe this is actualy good value for money. I found that I could get at least double the number of applications suggested from one pot easily. It does also have noticable effects unlike many of the cheaper face masks on the market.

As it is Lush policy to use natural ingredients, I expect it is rare for people to have reactions to the product, however if you are worried about this, it is possible to get a sample pot from a store to try before spending more on a full pot.

In all, I really liked the product and would certainly recommend it - it's perfect for relaxing after a stressful day or for a girly night in with friends! Watch out though, usage can lead to some serious chocolate cravings!

• frasersmum123 published 09/06/2009
    A great review of one of my favourite Lush products
  • costas1234 published 19/04/2008
    Great review
  • inbetweendaysx published 04/04/2008
    it sounds really lush!!! =p great review here x not too sure about the picture?