Review of "Lush Gorilla Perfumes The Smell of Freedom"

published 25/11/2011 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Pro Unusual, unisex fragrance with great staying power
Cons Not for those who only like sweet, feminine fragrances
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"What does freedom smell like?"

If you're a Lush fan at all, you'll know that Lush have recently introduced a new range of perfumes, Gorilla Perfumes, which even have their own website. The range includes the longstanding Lush perfumes Karma and Vanillary, a couple of perfumes which were originally part of the Retro range, reincarnations of perfumes from B Never Too Busy to be Beautiful (Lush's now-defunct sister cosmetics company) and some brand new scents, of which The Smell of Freedom is one.

I received The Smell of Freedom in the form of a sample, when I ordered the special promotional set of 7 sample perfumes for £7 from the Lush site. Sadly prices have now increased. Like the other perfumes in the range, The Smell of Freedom comes in four forms:

Atomiser: 27g of perfume in a black atomiser bottle, for £32.00
Spritzer: 9g of perfume in a long thin spritzer bottle, for £15.00
Solid: 12g of product in a black solid perfume container, for £7.00
Sample: small 2g vial for £3.25

As far as I can work out, the perfume is available on both the Lush website and the new Gorilla Perfume website, but the sample size only seems to be available on the Gorilla Perfume site.

The Smell of Freedom is quite different from the other scents in the sample pack and contains lemongrass, lemon myrtle, neroli, jasmine, ginger, fire tree, clove, black pepper, sandalwood, oudh and orris. Some of these ingredients sound familiar and some don't.

This is what Lush say about the fragrance:
"The Smell of Freedom was inspired by Simon's meetings with people that had suffered hardships. He used essential oils from their local regions and created something inspiring. It's a profound fragrance that starts off fresh, crisp and herbal and evolves into something greater."

When I first tried the perfume my initial thought was that it seemed to be quite a unisex fragrance, not too masculine but not especially feminine, and smelled very fresh, like open moors (hence the 'freedom' name?). I found the scent interesting and kept sniffing my wrists to try and decide what I thought of it.

I kept it on all day and I have to say it grew on me. It's a very unusual scent, evoking grass and the outdoors in general. I've worn it a few times at work, and find it's a really relaxing scent to use, as I can smell my wrists and imagine I'm in the middle of a field or a wood, skipping over the heather like Cathy and Heathcliff, not sat in front of a computer in an office!

The perfume is long-lasting, too. I put it on in the morning before work, and could still smell it when leaving at 5pm, although it had weakened a bit.

Overall, I was impressed with this perfume, despite being unsure what to make of it at first. I see it more of a 'mood-altering' fragrance more than a strict perfume, and it's unisex as opposed to the very feminine fragrances I usually wear - It's not something I'd wear on a night out - but I'd certainly consider buying a bottle to help alleviate stress or something like that! I'd definitely recommend popping into Lush and trying some on to see what you think!

Lush have this to say about the concentration of their perfume:
"Our Gorilla Perfumes are made from some of the finest perfumery materials in the world and we don't use any unnecessary packaging. The concentrations of our different perfumes are excellent value:

Solid perfume sticks are 10% perfume in our low-odour Ultrabalm base.
Spritzers are 15% perfume in alcohol.
Atomisers are 20% perfume in alcohol.
When you compare those with the usual concentrations out there:
Colognes are usually 4% perfume in ethanol.
Eau de toilette, usually 10-12%. Eau de parfum, usually 12-20%.
Pure perfume, usually 20-40%"

• catsholiday published 28/11/2011
    I have the large bottle of this and love it
  • Alyson29 published 26/11/2011
    I've yet to try this x
  • VampirePrincessLizzy published 25/11/2011
    I would like to try this :)