Review of "Lush Hair Doctor Pre-Wash Hair Treatment"

published 29/09/2011 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)
Pro Works wonders, hair is less greasy, hair does not itch hardly at all.
Cons You need to get past the horrible feel on your hair while using it to leave it for 30 minutes.
Long Lasting?
Smoothing?
Conditioning?

"The hair doctor paid us a visit and we've been very happy!"

As I style my hair from time to time and switch shampoos depending on what good offers I can find my hair has been prone to being a little bit itchy and greasy from time to time lately, however, this seems to have increased over the last few months and is something that my husband has been noticing also. While browsing in Lush we spotted this Hair Doctor product and decided at £6.25 for 95g that we would treat ourselves and give it a try.

This product comes provided in the usual Lush little black pot (return 5 clean washed pots for a free fresh face mask). The product looks like a very thick clay and it's a grey/biege kind of colour and there is nothing particular wonderful or appetising about it to look at. As soon as the pot is opened I can smell peppermint instantly and while it doesn't look so nice the smell is quite overpowering and it's fair to say that this does contain lots of essential oils just from the first smell!

It is advised on the packaging that you use 1/2 this pot for shorter hair and the whole pot for longer hair. I must say that I have shoulder length hair and I ended up using about 3/4 of the pot and saving 1/4 for my husband to use on his very short length hair. I felt that 3/4 was more than enough to give my hair a thorough coating. It's very easy to use this, I just wet my hair and then set about rubbing this through my hair, root to tip, and then massaging in to my scalp. It took just a few minutes to apply the 3/4 of the pot and it was simple to do. I could feel my scalp and hair beginning to tingle as soon as I started massaging in the product and while it was not uncomfortable the smell was quite strong and I felt a little like I was going to sleep, probably because of all the relaxing Lush products! I left this on for 30 minutes as stated before I began rubbing my hair under running water and really massaging everywhere to ensure that all the Hair Doctor was removed. I then shampooed and conditioned my hair as I usually would to see if there was any difference in results.

I must say that my hair felt a lot healthier and shinier and a week on from using this new treatment (well, new to us anyway!) I have noticed a lot of difference in how much I am itching. I am probably just itching my head a normal amount now and it's only when I think about it that I seem to end up doing it (psychological I'm sure!). I've been very pleased with the results that I've received using this Hair Doctor and it's fair to say that I would be more than happy to buy this again even though the price tag is a little bit steep for what you get out of it. My other half was very shocked that you were supposed to use either 1/2 or the whole pot depending on the length of your hair but he too was very pleased with the results that got from his 1/4 of the pot. My hair seems to be less greasy meaning I am not washing it every other day now, every third instead, which has got to be better for the condition of my hair anyway as it means less blow drying and straightening.

I would happily recommend this to anyone who has problematic scalp and my main advice would be to get past the colour and smell of the product and allow it to work it's magic. Also, if you aren't using this all as soon as you get home from Lush then ensure you keep it refrigerated for freshness.

Summary: A decent hair treatment from Lush - expensive but worth every penny!

• catsholiday published 02/10/2011