Review of "Lush Honey Lumps Bath Ballistic"

published 07/03/2012 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Pro Lovely honey scent, softens skin
Cons Price
Does it smell good?

"Soak your lumps in honey"

Lush Honey Lumps Bath Ballistic

Lush Honey Lumps Bath Ballistic

As you will know if you’ve read my previous reviews, I’m a bit of a Lush addict and am on a quest to sample every product made. Recently I found out that a number of items from the Retro range were being discontinued and therefore I went on a bit of a spending spree! One of the products I purchased was the Honey Lumps ballistic.

***What is Lush?***
Lush is a store that makes toiletries and cosmetics, using natural and organic ingredients where possible and minimising packaging where they can. It started out as a mail order company called Cosmetics to Go, but this failed and the new store, Lush, opened in Poole, Dorset. Later branches of the shop opened in London and beyond, and there are now Lush stores all over the world. As well as in store, you can also buy products from the website, www.lush.co.uk. There are similar websites for many different countries including the USA, Japan and Germany.

Lush buy ingredients only from companies that do not test on animals. All of their products are suitable for vegetarians and many are suitable for vegans.

Lush say: “We believe in happy people making happy soap, putting our faces on our products and making our mums proud.
“We believe in long candlelit baths, sharing showers, massage, filling the world with perfume and in the right to make mistakes, lose everything and start again.”

***What is Retro?***
The Retro range is only available online or via mail order, as it is made up of products that have been discontinued from stores, but were deemed popular enough not to be discontinued completely. Retro products are often more expensive than the normal range of products, as they are made in smaller quantities, but there is some interesting stuff to be found among the products!

***So what’s a ballistic?***
Ballistics are basically bath bombs. They are made up of sodium bicarbonate and a number of other ingredients which allow them to fizz away in the bath, releasing colour into the water and scent into the air. They don’t create bubbles – go for a bubble bar if you have your heart set on a bubble bath. Many of Lush’s new-style ballistics contain a variety of colours and create special effects in the bath – these are pretty impressive! However, Honey Lumps belongs to the old-style group of ballistics. It has the traditional round shape with the Lush logo raised on the top of it. Retro ballistics do tend to be larger than their newer counterparts and Honey Lumps is no exception – it’s massive! I’ve sometimes cut these larger ballistics in half to use them in two different baths, but I decided just to throw the whole thing in this time.

***Honey Lumps***
This ballistic is nothing special to look at, being a pale cream, ever so slightly brown in colour, round bath bomb. It has a lovely scent of honey with a citrus tang, and something deeper which I can’t quite make out. This makes sense as the ingredients are honey, tangerine oil and myrrh resinoid, which is probably the part I can’t quite make out as I’ve never been called upon to identify the scent of myrrh. It’s worth noting that the presence of honey in the ballistic means that it is not suitable for vegans, though like all Lush products it is suitable for vegetarians. As the name of the product suggests, the honey comes in the form of little lumps which dissolve in the bath.

***Using the product***
Though it’s possible to drop ballistics into the bath while the water’s running, I prefer to run the bath and get in before doing so in order to get the full effect. When I dropped this ballistic into the water, I noted that it dissolved relatively quickly, fizzing away pleasantly and releasing the scent. The ballistic formed a sort of white foam while it was dissolving , but afterwards the water was clear and it didn’t look like there was anything in the bath. I was pleased to note that there were no ‘bits’ left to get stuck at the bottom of the bath – the whole thing dissolved thoroughly. The water felt silky-soft and gentle on my skin, and the lovely honey scent, which lasted for the duration of my bath, was relaxing and calming.

After my bath my skin felt very soft and the smell lingered on my skin for a couple of hours. I experienced no skin irritation whatsoever after using this product, in fact it felt very soothing and would probably be suitable for more sensitive skin.

***Would I recommend it?***
Yes I would, I enjoyed using the ballistic and it seemed to do my skin good, as well as helping to create a relaxing, calming bathing experience. It wasn’t the most spectacular bath product but it did a good job. Though it was rather pricey at £3.10 I would be willing to pay this for an occasional treat. I would also consider cutting it into two next time and using it for two separate baths.

Honey Lumps is no longer available on the Lush website at the time of writing my review. However, Lush have recently revised their Retro policy and plan to release a small number of limited edition Retro products every couple of months. Therefore, there’s a chance the ballistic could become available again. If you like the sound of it I suggest you keep an eye on the Lush website. eBay is another possibility.

If you think it sounds good, I also recommend the Butterball ballistic from Lush which is cheaper and available in-store, but is also good for skin.

• 80smusicreviewer published 12/03/2012
    Excellent review.
  • catsholiday published 07/03/2012
    I wish they'd put a few in the shops!
  • xmum2fourx published 07/03/2012