Review of "Lush Imperialis"

published 08/03/2007 | Looby5
Member since : 09/11/2003
Pro Light, fragrant, good value
Cons None

"Simply Lushious"

I had never really thought about buying a moisturiser from Lush to be honest. I was a staunch Clinique girl for many years, then a friend got me to try some of her Clarins stuff which I quite liked and that seemed to break the spell. I began to wonder if it was really necessary to spend fifty quid or more on moisturiser or if something a bit more economical might do the job just as well. I think one of my main reasons for changing was that my skin felt almost water logged, or a bit suffocated, like my cream was too heavy. My skin usually looked quite good though and I often got compliments from my friends about how clear my skin was, so I was a bit nervous about changing to something cheaper.

One day about 6 months ago I was browsing around Lush, as you do, smelling stuff and dipping my fingers in things and I noticed for the first time that they had a whole selection of moisturisers on display. How I'd missed it I don't know but I felt like it was my duty to put it right and try something. I was drawn to Imperiallis primarily because of the price, it's 8.25GBP or $29.95 AUD. Which is a huge reduction on what I would normally pay for a cream. The second reason I was drawn to it was because of the ingredients, Imperialis contains Lavender, Orange Blossom Water, Shea Butter, Coco Butter, Tiger Lilly extract, Elderflower extract and St. Johns wort extract, as well as a few other bits and pieces (all natural of course) full ingredients list is available on the web site for those that are interested.

When I got it home I washed my face, cleansed and toned, then pulled of the top of the little black tub. Its light pink in colour but looks quite rich. The lavender really comes through in the initial aroma, it smells lovely, clean and fresh. I put a few blobs on my face and rubbed them in. I was struck by how light it felt and how quickly it was absorbed. After I applied my face felt cool, clean and smooth. When I contrast that feeling with the feeling I got with other moisturisers it was quite stark. A lot of the other creams are perfumed which I always quite liked until I tried this which feels much more natural. The other creams also felt heavier on my skin, they did smooth and hydrate my skin but I loved the light feeling that the Lush cream left me with. I often find that once a day is not enough with this cream and I often apply again when I get home from work. I can't decide if this is because the cream doesn't hydrate the skin as much as the other creams I've used or if it's simply because I like the way my skin feels straight after I've applied, either way I'm often moisturising twice a day, especially when I'm going out in the evening.

I've been using Imperialis now for the best part of six months and I have to say I've been really pleased with the results. I use it every morning and never feel any on the 'build up' that I have felt with other products. I still get regular compliments about my glowing completion and on top of that I have some extra cash in my pocket to boot. The cream is long lasting and I've used two tubs in six months using it once or twice a day so I'd have to say its great value for money.

All things considered I'd never go back to the rip off moisturisers of the big cosmetics companies, this is better and cheaper. Possibly the only thing that could make me change from Imperialis is another supa doopa Lush product. They have a few more moisturisers in their range which I plan to try in the not to distant future.

Thanks for reading

• perfectlypolished published 01/05/2007
    Not really a Lush fan but a great review. Lin
  • tattie123 published 24/03/2007
    great review
  • gaunts published 20/03/2007
    Everyone seems to love Lush products...they seem to make good presents too! gaunty