Absinthe_... 4

Absinthe_Fairy

About me: Very grateful for the Es on my latest review :-)

Member since:03.01.2011

The most bizarre perfume ever?

19.04.2013

Advantages:
After several minutes it is an unusual, evocative, herby and citrusy scent

Disadvantages:
It does smell like fish at first !

Staying power

Design of the bottle

How would you describe the fragrance?Tangy / sharp, Others

Would you buy it again?I don't know

Why did you buy it?It was a sample

29 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. RICHADA
  2. prettypolly40
  3. mumsymary

Lush, my favourite store, recently released a number of new fragrances under the Gorilla Perfume name. These look, smell and sound very different to other perfumes from both Lush and other brands, with unusual ingredients and concepts, and I was very intrigued when I heard about them.

To coincide with the launch of the new fragrances, Lush opened a temporary gallery space in east London. I visited this gallery and had a memorable experience. The fragrances were displayed as works of art, with pictures or sets used to represent the perfumes. Simon Constantine, head perfumer at Lush, has stated that he wants to develop the concept of perfume as an art form, like painting or music, and I feel that he has met with success here.

The new perfumes come in bottles of different sizes and shapes, and look like old apothecary bottles displayed in-store. Testers of the perfumes are available, and I’ve tried Lord of Goathorn since its belated arrival in-store.

***Bottle***
Unlike other Lush perfumes, which come in standardised black bottles, the new fragrances come in clear glass bottles of all different shapes and sizes. I really like these bottles as they are unusual and attractive. Lord of Goathorn, however, only comes in one size – the 25g bottle with the dropper top. The perfume itself is an earthy dark brown shade, and the pink label has a picture of a seaman on the front.

***The Fragrance***
This unusual scent was inspired by a fisherman living off the coast of Poole, home of Lush, who lived a surprisingly eventful life, rubbing shoulders with smugglers and royalty. It is made up of seaweed, basil and lime, not a combination I’ve ever come across before! It is suitable for vegans.

***My Experience***
I’d heard mixed reviews of Lord of Goathorn, but I thought it sounded intriguing so I determined to try it. I’ve been visiting Lush stores a lot in order to sample the new fragrances and see how they work on my skin. With some trepidation, I headed to one and applied some of this fragrance.

I was not keen on the fragrance at all at first – it smelled like fish! While the salty, pungent aroma certainly evoked living by the sea, I’m not entirely sure I would want to smell like that. Luckily, within ten or fifteen minutes the fishy scent had died off and while the fragrance still had a salty tang, other elements of the scent had come out, such as the herby basil and citrusy lime. On me, the perfume eventually died down to be rather aniseedy, though still rich and evocative with a smoky atmosphere.

The fragrance lasted for several hours on my skin, which impressed me. I certainly grew to like it by the end of the day.

***Price and Availability***
Lord of Goathorn costs £29 a bottle which is in line with the other Gorilla perfumes. It isn’t as widely available as some of the others: at the time of writing it was showing as ‘Unavailable’ on the website but it was still present in every store I visited.

***Conclusion***
I hated Lord of Goathorn at first but grew to quite like it after trying it on my skin. It’s very unusual and different and I like the fact that it has a history behind it. It certainly fits in with the ethos of Gorilla Perfume, which involves turning fragrance back into an art form.

I strongly recommend trying this perfume in-store. Don’t buy it without sampling it first, in case you hate it! Also, don’t dismiss it out-of-hand because of the initial fishy smell. This does go away and you are left with a fascinating, bizarre scent.

« Previous review

angelboouk123 19.04.2013 22:17

great review x

mi_wa 19.04.2013 16:53

Well... much.

mi_wa 19.04.2013 16:53

At least it doesn't smell like fish.