Review of "Lush None of Your Beeswax Lip Balm"

published 05/01/2018 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Journalling more for myself than anything else now, so I don't expect reads or rates!
Satisfactory
Pro Smells heavenly
Cons Consistency, texture and packaging
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Bring back the Beeswax!"

The beeswax-free balm that lightly bathes your lips with moisture and the taste of vanilla, lemon and mandarin.

Lush products have fast taken over my life. From a couple of years ago when I refused to step foot in the door I have been well and truly snared. I have the bubble bars, the shampoos, the conditioners, the moisturisers, the deodorants, the perfumes, the shower jellies and even, surprise surprise, the lip balms. This was in fact the first lip balm I bought, Whipstick came after, but when I opened the tin in a Lush store and smelt it I knew I had to have it. Sold.

The scent to this lip balm is gorgeous and as I mentioned, it’s what originally drew me to this lip balm in the shop. It’s lovely vanilla with a fresh tint of lemon and it really is something special. The smell doesn’t linger too long under my nose or on my lips and it doesn’t taste of vanilla and lemon, which is probably a good thing. But it does smell gorgeous when you first apply it.

Out of the two lip balms this is not my favourite though, because although I adore the smell the texture is somewhat off. It’s rather greasy to the touch and on the lips and although it does eventually sink into the lips and leave them feeling wonderfully smooth and soft it takes a lot longer to do so than it’s chocolate counterpart. Rubbing your lips together feels actively greasy for a significant amount of time after application which isn’t so good. It’s also slightly gritty in it’s texture and melts ridiculously easily in the tin meaning it’s very easy to put too much on your lips. My fiancé isn’t keen at all on the texture and for that reason will repeatedly steal my Whipstick instead.

The reason for the difference in texture I believe is that this particular lip balm is intended for the vegan audience of Lush and therefore doesn’t use the standard base ingredients that give you the lovely rich and moisturising feel instead of the more greasy texture. Effectively it loses the beeswax and the honey and this makes a huge difference to the consistency of the product; the vegan alternatives don’t seem to quite have the same effect and although it is deeply moisturising, the texture does feel odd on your lips.

As with the Whipstick though, there is only one unnatural ingredient amongst the lot which is the rather vague Perfume which could be virtually everything. This will appease many Lush fans who aren’t happy with how many unnatural ingredients they manage to use in their apparently natural products. Personally I’m not fussed, but admittedly if you are charging a premium for your product then you ought to actually stick to your promises. And boy oh boy do Lush charge that premium. Ten fold.

Fair Trade Shea Butter is a moisturising agent which is gentle, nourishing and easily absorbed. It makes the base up along with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil which is another moisturiser, Organic Castor Oil, Murumuru Butter as a protective emollient and Japan Wax which is an emollient, plant based cosmetic wax. Cupuacu Butter is the vegan alternative to animal based lanolin and is soft, moisturising and nourishing whilst Glycerine carries effective ingredients into the skin where their beneficial effects can be used.

And then for the interesting ingredients; Mandarin Oil for the scent which isn’t strong in this product but complements the lemon, Fresh Lemon which cleanses and refreshes as well as having an obvious scent which is one of the key scents in the product whilst Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute can be smelt as well as being soothing and antibacterial. And then Citral for the scent of lemon peel, Limonene for sweet lemon, Linalool for a soft sweet odour and Geraniol for a sweet rose-like odour. Sweet lemon and vanilla is the overall finish to the product and is definitely the strongest aspect of the product.

However, the big issues start to come with price as that’s where these products really start to get very, very ouchy indeed. For 8g of product you are now paying a remarkably steep £5.75 which is eye watering in reality. The price has suffered some hellish inflation as well as in 2009 a 10g tin was £4.40, in 2010 you were paying £4.75 for that same 10g, 2013 is still 10g but now £5.50 and by 2015 at time of writing you are paying £5.75 for 8g. You do the maths on that because it’s a significant change. Admittedly it lasts forever, you don’t need to use a lot providing your tin isn’t melted and difficult to use, and it lasts a long time. Six months minimum for two people using it in our experience.

And my second issue would be with the packaging which is the silly tin format that Lush seem to prefer and use as much as possible. It would be more practical in a stick format that could be applied directly to the lips, but Lush don’t sell sticks in anything anymore, not even the purfumes and I think that was a daft change as well as the perfume tins are horrendous to use and you don’t get anywhere near such a good coverage. But hey, for some reason Lush like tins.
Do I Recommend?

No, in reality because this is a mediocre product in terms of texture and consistency, ridiculously expensive and in a silly packaging format. Too much is wrong for me to recommend. What I will say is that it smells divine and if it was less greasy and gritty it would be a recommendable product even at the high price. But considering the price I’d point you towards Whipstick or Honey Trap (which I’ve only used as a sample as I really don’t need three tiny tins rattling around). In reality losing the beeswax doesn’t do this any favours.

• RICHADA published 11/01/2018
    Is the LUSH love affair withering on the vine here? R.
  • euphie published 07/01/2018