Review of "Lush Ocean Salt"

published 18/03/2016 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Pro exfoliates, gentle on skin, doesn't feel harsh, moisturises slightly
Cons the price
How easily is it absorbed?

"I've Got The Lime and Salt, Who's Got The Tequila?"

Lush Ocean Salt

Lush Ocean Salt

= = = = = =
The Product
= = = = = =
Sorry Ladies and Gents . . it’s another Lush review! As the majority of you well know if you have read my previous reviews, I recently treated myself to some products from Lush. I have already reviewed two of the products and as you may have already guessed this is going to be the next one. I came across this product when browsing on the Lush website for body scrubs. This particular product seemed to have some very positive reviews about it so I thought I would give it a go to see what it was like. This scrub is actually suitable for use on the face or body; how-ever I was only planning on using it on my body as I have quite sensitive skin on my face so use other products that I know don’t irritate my face or dry it out. Limes steeped in vodka, grapefruit and lashings of salt go into this invigorating face and body scrub. Sea salt is rich in minerals and is excellent for scrubbing away any dead skin. Lush have added rich, silky avocado butter, coconut oil and seaweed absolute to keep your skin soft, smooth and conditioned. This product has a number of different ingredients including: (Please note the information about the ingredients have been taken from the Lush website).

• Fresh Grapefruit Infusion – This is used as an antiseptic, astringent and antibacterial oil for conditions such as acne, congested and oily skin, and also to tone skin.
• Hand Harvested Sea Salt - A bath that contains sea salt can help to relieve dry and itchy skin as well as serious conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. The bath naturally opens up the pores, improves circulation in the skin and hydrates the tissues so that your skin can heal.
• Fresh Organic Lime Extracted in Vodka - In Ayurvedic medicine, lime was used to combat fatigue; it was also used for its antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral qualities. An extract of fresh organic lime juice in vodka is used for this face scrub; the reported antibacterial effects of lime and the trace of alcohol in the product is ideal for skin that is suffering from blocked pores, blackheads or blemishes.
• Avocado Butter - Avocado butter is produced from the rich flesh of the fruit. It melts with ease, making it effective for skin and hair care products. The fruit contains unsaturated oil that rehydrates skin. The oil soothes the upper layers of skin. Avocado butter soothes and conditions the skin. It rehydrates at the same time.

The scrub comes in a black plastic pot. The pot gets slightly wider as it reaches the top and there is a screw on lid to keep the product nice and fresh. There is a label on the front of the pot which states what the product is. A list of ingredients and instructions on how to use the product can be found on this label as well. There is a round sticker on the side of the pot stating the name of the person whom made the product, the date it was made and the use by date which in this case is 12th April 2017 so it does last for quite a while although the product will be well used up by then. There is a round sticker on the top of the lid again stating the name of the product and it also tells you a little about the product as well. When unscrewing the lid the most obvious thing about the product is the smell. It has a zingy scent of citrus which I found quite nice, despite not really liking citrus scents. The scrub itself looks slightly marbled and is white and light blue. The scrub looks quite grainy and thick.

= = = = = = = =
Price/Availability
= = = = = = = =
I purchased this product from the Lush website but you should also be able to purchase it from most Lush stores. The scrub is available in various different sizes including:

• 120g - £7.95
• 250g - £14.25
• 600g - £23.95

They also sell this product in the following versions: Please note that these do vary in price and are priced different to the Ocean Salt scrub that I am basing this review on.

• Alcohol free Ocean Salt
• Self-preserving Ocean Salt
• Self-preserving & alcohol free Ocean Salt

= = = = = = = = =
Using the Product
= = = = = = = = =
Apply this product to dry skin and rub all over using circular motions and then rinse off to reveal silky smooth skin. For a more gentle buff you can use this scrub on wet skin as well. I decided to use the product on dry skin just before getting into the shower. I stood in the bath and applied a little of the product to both my knees and upper arms where they sometimes feel a little bumpy. I applied the product in circular motions. Surprisingly the scrub didn’t actually feel that harsh on the areas I was using the product unlike some of the scrub bars that I have used from Lush. The consistency of the product is nice as it’s quite a fine scrub. There is a strong citrus smell when using this product which must be the Grapefruit and Lime. This scent is quite nice and refreshing. I found that a little of this scrub goes a long way so I would suggest applying a little at first and then you can apply a little more if you need to afterwards. Some of the scrub did end up falling off into the bath so I would advise using this scrub when you are standing in the shower or bath-tub. After spending a good few minutes rubbing the scrub on various areas I then stood under the shower to rinse the product off and have a wash, etc. The product rinsed off really easily without the need for me to rub at the areas where I had actually used the scrub but I did anyway just to ensure that it had all been rinsed off properly. The citrus scent didn’t really last that long although I put this down to using a few other Lush products such as shower gel as well which probably covered the citrus scent from the scrub.

= = = =
Results
= = = =
After getting out of the shower and patting my skin dry I did noticed that the areas where I had used the scrub on my arms I could smell the slight citrus scent from the product which was quite nice as I find that when washing most products off the scent often dissapears with it. The scent wasn’t strong but it was there, which made my skin feel clean and fresh. The areas where I had applied the scrub felt a lot smoother and softer than they had done before, especially my knee’s which can often feel a little rough and look ever so slightly dry. My arms felt smoother as well and they didn’t feel as bumpy as they did before using this product. I applied moisturiser and this helped to make these areas feel even softer and smoother. I have since used this product on other areas such as my thighs and my elbows. I actually tend to alternate using this scrub with a scrub bar from Lush every-time I shower. I haven’t personally used this scrub on my face so I can’t comment on what it’s like and how it affects this area of the skin. I have chosen not to use this product on my face because I have sensitive skin which can often feel dry so I have a separate scrub that I use which I know works fine with my skin and doesn’t irritate it or dry it out (not that I expect this scrub to).

= = = = = = =
Overall Opinion
= = = = = = =
Despite not being too keen on citrus scents I actually really liked the scent of this scrub as I found it refreshing and uplifting. I only really purchased this scrub because I had read good things about it and I am glad that I gave it a try as I love it. The consistency of the scrub is lovely and I love the fact that although it doesn’t feel too rough it does feel as though it’s exfoliating your skin. I like that the scent of the product becomes a little stronger in the bathroom when using it. I think the colour of the scrub is brilliant as the blue and white reminds me of the sea which is perfect for the name of the scrub (Ocean Salt). I have only ever used the scrub on dry skin as I don’t find it too harsh for my skin and it doesn’t leave my skin feeling sore. If I was suffering from slightly dry skin then I may use it on wet skin but I don’t think you would feel the product exfoliating as much as you would when using it on dry skin. The product definitely leaves my skin feeling smoother and softer. I have used the product a few times on my skin now and I haven’t experienced any problems with the product such as it causing any irritation or making my skin feel dry. The packaging that the product comes in is great as you can screw the lid back on easily to keep the scrub nice and safe ready to use next time. I did only purchase a small tub of the scrub but as I am alternating it with my scrub bar from Lush I won’t need to purchase any of this for at least a month. I am definitely going to re-purchase this product as I love the way it gently exfoliates and leaves my skin feeling smoother and softer. Next time I am going to purchase a bigger tub of this scrub and I may even try it out on my face, seeing as it’s so gentle on my body. This is a brilliant scrub that is lovely to use and I highly recommend it.

• CGholy published 13/10/2017