Review of "Lush Red Rooster Soap"

published 09/07/2013 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Pro Lovely scent, gentle soap
Cons Expensive, used up quickly, annoying bits
Does it smell good?

"Wakey wakey!"

Lush Red Rooster Soap

Lush Red Rooster Soap

I’m a huge fan of the shop Lush and am trying to sample pretty much everything they make. As well as buying products in store, I also order online in order to get hold of products from the Retro section. These are products that have been discontinued from stores, but were deemed too popular to get rid of completely.

One of the products I ordered previously was a soap – Red Rooster. This soap was described by Lush as a product that “wakes you up just as surely as a cockerel crowing outside your bedroom window”. It contains fresh organic orange juice, cinnamon leaf oil, sweet orange oil and cloves to wake you up with the fresh citrus scent of orange juice with a hint of warming spiciness. It is suitable for vegans and cost £3.50 for 100g.

The soap is a lovely burnt orange in colour but it does have weird bits on the top and bottom – brown-black bits rather like leaves or bits of twig. These were slightly painful and scrubby on the skin, but difficult to remove. They were slightly annoying and got everywhere in the sink!

The soap did smell delicious – it smelled of real orange juice with a warm spicy aspect. It was refreshing and reviving. I used the soap in the shower with a body puff and it lathered up really well. The lovely smell wafted around the shower and helped me feel more awake and alert. The scent also lasted on my skin once I was out of the shower and dry, which I was impressed with.

I’ve also used the soap as a hand soap. It is a nice soap to use as it smells so strong, and leaves a lovely spicy citrus scent on my hands. Unfortunately it does seem to go down quite quickly, and as mentioned previously has weird little scrubby bits which end up everywhere.

Overall, I like this soap but probably wouldn’t buy it again. It’s quite expensive and goes down quite quickly. Also, the random bits are rather annoying. It does smell lovely though. Red Rooster soap is no longer available at Lush, however they have recently revamped their Retro policy and plan to release several ‘new’ Retro products as limited edition items every few months. Therefore, if you like the sound of the soap, keep an eye on the Lush website in case it appears again!