Review of "Lush Shampoo Bar New Hair"

published 23/09/2011 | review_writer
Member since : 29/08/2011
Thanks so much kiss_me2070 for my first EVER "E" :) :) I do try sometimes :P x
Pro good for oily hair, refreshing, no packaging, practical
Cons value for money, too drying for dry or damaged hair
Does it smell good?
What hair type is it for?

"peppermint, spice, and all things nice"

Design

This is a "naked" product- a solid shampoo bar with no packaging, which saves the environment. It is a round, solid red bar with tightly-packed granules that are visible. It comes with a little cinnamon stick on top.
It is recommended to keep it away from water, as it is soluable, so it is best to store it in a dry place. Lush do a round metal tin especially for this purpose that costs £2.50 which I do not like personally, as the shampoo tends to get stuck inside if put in while wet and you have to bang on the tine to get it out. It's very handy for travelling with though, and I am told this shampoo can go into hand luggage, as it isn't, of course, a liquid. Very practical to use in the gym too, making those gym bags a little lighter.

Advertising

For thinning hair.
With cinnamon, peppermint, rosemary, nettle, bay, clove, with rosemary and nettle giving tired scalps a boost, while the others take care of hair follicles.
Price and availability

Can be bought in the Lush store or from their website online for £5 for 55grams.

Smell

This is what initially drew me to this product. I am not a huge fan of cinnamon, but the peppermint in my opinion overpowers the overall smell of this, giving it a fresh, unique, kind of "christmassy" spicy smell.
Usage

You are supposed to wet hair, rub the shampoo bar on it like you would with a soap for your hands in three strokes, lather and rinse. I have found, however, that I need to rub much more on my long hair-it does lather quite well though, much better than Seanik and Squeeky Green shampoo bars.

Wet hair

Feels squeeky clean, scalp tingles and you can smell the shampoo scent in your hair.
Dry hair

Oily hair is de-greased really well but dry or damaged hair is very dehydrated and quite hard to brush, although easier than with Squeaky Green. Due to my damaged hair, I have always needed to use conditioner or a hair masque after this shampoo, however I am used to doing this anyway so it wasn't a change for me. I have found that it's best to use a very nourishing hair mask with this, meaning oily roots are de-greased and dry lengths are nourished. Scent lingers slightly.

Overall experience

I am satisfied with the shampoo, however because of the drying aspect I will probably not buy it again. I don't think it is worth the money, as you need quite a lot to lather up and considering it is meant to last 2-3 normal shampoo bottles, I do not think this is the case with this one.
My hair was de-greased well, I didn't have to wash it every day which was a surprise and it felt much stronger, was losing less hair and gained some volume. My damaged lengths weren't too content, though.
I can see, however, how it would fulfil its purpose for thinning hair.
Not bad, just not perfect for my hair!

• Novabug published 23/09/2011
    Good layout with good opinion, I would check some of your grammar though. :)