Lush Shampoo Bar New Hair

Lush Shampoo Bar New Hair

Shampoo

Review of "Lush Shampoo Bar New Hair"

published 02/05/2012 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Pro Does appear to prevent hair falling out, lasts ages
Cons Seems to strip hair colour, slightly drying on my hair
Does it smell good?
What hair type is it for?

"Give your hair a new lease of life!"

Lush, the handmade cosmetics store, is most famous for its soaps and bath products but it also has a haircare range, including innovative solid shampoos. These work like soap: you lather up under the shower either by rubbing the bar between your hands or applying it straight to your head. Rinse out the resulting lather as usual and you are left with clean hair!

The most recent solid shampoo I have tried is the New bar. This is designed to both give shine to the hair and stimulate hair follicles to maximise growth. I don't have a problem with thinning hair, but I do seem to shed an awful lot of the stuff - one friend hates me going to stay at her flat because my hair ends up all over the laminate flooring! I hoped that this product would help with this and stop me shedding so much hair.

The bar is bright red in colour and has the delicious scent of cinnamon. This comes from the cinnamon leaf oil, which along with clove bud oil and bay oil help to stimulate the scalp and hair follicles. Peppermint oil also helps to stimulate hair follicles. For shine, nettle and peppermint infusions are included while rosemary and nettle absolutes help to protect, soothe and clear the scalp. The bar is suitable for vegans.

I use the bar as described above, leaving it in a soap dish between washes. I make sure to tip all the excess water out so that it doesn't get soggy. I removed the cinnamon stick from the top - it doesn't really serve any purpose except decoration.

The shampoo isn't the most moisturising shampoo, so I always use a conditioner afterwards. This is fair enough though as I do have dry hair and always, always need conditioner. I get the feeling that the shampoo itself wouldn't be enough: although my hair doesn't get too tangled after use, it does feel a bit dry (albeit squeaky clean). I don't feel that the shampoo itself gives my hair a lot of shine, though it's hard to tell because of my use of conditioner. A big negative for me is the impression I get that the bar is stripping my hair colour. I dye my hair dark brown and I can see it running off in the shower when I rinse the shampoo out. I can tell that my hair colour is fading more quickly, too.

The bar does seem to be successful in preventing hair loss. I normally shed quite a lot of hair in the shower and have noticed that this seems to be happening a lot less lately. This is a very unscientific observation but it does suggest that the bar works to a certain extent. I'm not sure how it would affect those with severe hair loss but it does seem to be working for me.

The New shampoo bar is lasting a very long time: a month already and only half the bar is gone. This makes it better value for money than the £5 purchase price would suggest. Shampoo bars are better for the environment as they require no packaging and are ideal for taking on holiday as they are solid and therefore do not contribute to the hand luggage liquid allowance.

I probably wouldn't buy this shampoo bar again: the fact that it strips hair colour is a big no-no for me and it isn't quite as moisturising as I would like. However, I am impressed that it seems to have stopped me shedding quite as much hair and it might be worth a try for anyone who is suffering hair loss. It also lasts a long time. I couldn't decide whether to give it three or four stars, so decided to give it four, because it is a good product - just not quite right for me.

• CGholy published 07/10/2017
    vh
  • nickbrown60 published 03/05/2012
    I need this!!
  • Alyson29 published 02/05/2012
    I'm running very low on Lush goodies, so I think a visit to their store is on the cards x