Review of "Lush Shampoo Bar New Hair"

published 28/02/2014 | euphie
Member since : 21/09/2012
Will be back every now and again - thanks everyone for all the rates over the years
Pro Leaves hair clean and shiny, no wastage
Cons not very moisturising
Does it smell good?
What hair type is it for?

"My 'new' shampoo"

I recently decided to treat myself to some items from Lush and as I had liked the solid shampoos in the past, I thought I would try this one. I also bought a tin, as I had lost my previous one and I didn't want it lying loose in my bathroom.

A shampoo bar is a block of solid shampoo. There is no packaging with these (just a paper bag), so they are better for the environment. You can buy reusable tins, like I did, but the bar of shampoo doesn't fit properly when you first buy it. I do find that the tins are fantastic though, as they keep the shampoo bar dry and undamaged.

This shampoo has two aims:
To add shine
To stimulate blood flow and boost hair follicles
This shampoo has nettle and peppermint infusions to ad dshine to hair, rosemary and nettle absolutes to protect, sooth and clear scalp, and bay oil, clove bud oil and cinnamon leaf oil to stimulate blood flow and boost hair follicles. Peppermint is also meant to inhibit mechanisms that cause hair to fall out.

This shampoo appealed to me for two reasons
I love the smell of cinnamon
This shampoo is designed to stimulate hair follicles to maximise growth

While I was slightly wary of the claims to maximise hair growth, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. I do find it's very difficult (if not impossible) to either confirm or deny this claim.

I love the smell of this shampoo; it smells very Christmassy with the cinnamon and peppermint. There is a cinnamon stick imbedded in it, so I take care to ensure I use the other side of the bar when rubbing this against my hair to lather it up. It does lather up really easily and produces lots of rich, creamy bubbles, although this may be because of the inclusion of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). Personally, this doesn't bother my hair and scalp, but I know some of my friends do suffer from reactions to SLS.

It is really to use this shampoo bar. Personally, I rub some of the bar along the roots of my hair, and that seems to produce a lather, and I then use this to wash the rest of my hair. You can also lather up the shampoo bar in your hand, if you don't want to rub it over your hair. The lather is rich and creamy (probably the SLS) and you only need a tint bit each time, so a bar lasts ages.

I do have damaged hair, and I find that this isn't the kindest shampoo, so if like me and you have dry damaged hair, this may make it worse. However, it does leave my hair feeling really clean and shiny, so I use this about once a week to give my hair a boost. I do feel it is slightly too harsh to use every time I wash my hair though.

I would recommend this solid shampoo, as it does really leave my hair looking and feeling clean. It's just too harsh for damaged hair. I can't comment on the claims of this shampoo though, as I don't suffer from scalp problems, and I haven't measured my hair to see how much it has grown in the past 2 months. All I do know is that it leaves my hair feeling clean and shiny, though not as soft as some other brands of shampoo. I wouldn't buy this shampoo again, but it hasn't put me off the solid shampoos as I think they are fantastic value for money. I just don't feel this one is worth what I paid for it though.

• CGholy published 07/10/2017
    This is one I'm planning to write about soon.
  • justarube published 22/03/2017