Review of "Lush T'Eo"

published 12/12/2011 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Good
Pro Surprisingly effective
Cons Leaves white marks and can dry out armpits
Staying Power
How does it affect your skin?
Does it smell good?

"T'elling you about this d'eo"

I was running out of deodorant, so decided to pick some up from Lush next time I was in there. I had never tried their T'eo deodorant but was intrigued by it (as I am by so many of their products) so decided to pick one up.

T'eo is a lemongrass deodorant and antiperspirant. It contains magnesium carbonate which is a solid, white mineral, in nature often found mixed with calcite forming limestone deposits! In this deodorant it acts as a perfume carrier, containing juniper berry, tea tree and lemon essential oils to stop smells. The product is suitable for vegans. In colour and form, it is a white chalk-like oval with blue cornflower petals on top and a layer of blue wax on the bottom. It smells very nice and fresh - the scent is of lemons, but the juniper and tea tree prevent it smelling too much like a toilet cleaner!

I keep my T'eo in a Lush massage bar tin (free when you buy two massage bars at Lush), where it fits well, being more or less the same shape (albeit not as large) as the tin.

The first thing I did was pick off all the bits of flowers from the top of the bar. They look very pretty, but make a bit of a mess when you go to apply the deodorant - half of them stick to your armpits and half of them stick to your clothes!

I've been using the product for several weeks now so I think I am well placed to comment on it. The product's shape makes it easy to apply although you have to make sure you don't get it on your clothes - this deodorant WILL make white marks, as it is in the form of a 'pressed powder'. It does turn your underarms a bit white and powdery at first but after a while this effect disappears. After a few days of use, some parts of the top do go a bit hard and need to be scraped off, and this is easy to do. The deodorant is held together with the blue wax, but you have to be careful - after using it for a while part of the deodorant broke off and fell onto my black skirt covering it with powder!

The product does have a tendency to make my armpits slightly dry - after a few days of use I need to go back to using another deodorant for a day to let my pits recover, and the deodorant occasionally stings - not often I hasten to add, usually only after I've just shaved.

Having said all that, I've been reasonably pleased with the performance of this deodorant. For a natural deo, it's surprisingly effective and I can apply it before work and not have to worry until I get in the house at night, although it's less effective at the gym or if I'm rushing around at lunchtime picking up bits of shopping. Even if I do sweat, I don't smell bad, all I can smell is the fresh lemon scent!

At £4, this deodorant is quite expensive especially as I don't think it lasts amazingly well, and I'm constantly picking bits off as they start to go hard. Overall I wouldn't buy it again, as it's too much hassle to apply and I don't want white marks all over my clothes. I'm not keen on the occasional stinging either! Having said that, it might be worth a try for those of you who prefer natural deodorants, particularly in the summer when clothes are generally lighter and white marks may matter less.

• Panda.Eyes published 12/12/2011
    I've wondered about this Lush product for a while now and this tells me everything I need to know - don't think I will bother buying it now! Thanks x
  • catsholiday published 12/12/2011
    I found this hurt my under arms and now use mine crumbled in shoes and trainers