Review of "Lush T'Eo"

published 03/01/2018 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Journalling more for myself than anything else now, so I don't expect reads or rates!
Good
Pro Effective to begin with
Cons Harsh on skin, gains a crust throughout use that impacts on aesthetics and efficiency
Staying Power
How does it affect your skin?
Does it smell good?

"Harsh Underarm Care"

A deodorant bar made of super-absorbent powders, fresh green grapes, and juniper and citrus essential oils to help you keep dry and fresh. This gentle but powerful bar makes light work of heavy perspiration, thanks to its nifty little team of freshmakers that absorb odours and work up some anti-bacterial magic.

For a long time I used the Aramaco Lush deodorant bar with no negative effects, however when I repurchased on one occasion it caused a horrific allergic reaction on my armpits that I’m still struggling with twelve months later as it has left my armpits significantly more likely to react to products than they were before. I don’t know if I got a bad batch or if my body just decided that it didn’t like the product anymore but it’s been a nightmare to get around as virtually any anti-perspirant now causes soreness. Eventually, I found my way back to Lush and picked up the T’eo bar which I’d tried before but discarded because it felt rough on the skin.

T’eo is a white bar made of a slightly crumbly and rough material which is used as a deodorant by rubbing the white product across your underarms. It has a blue underside which is smoother and is clearly designed to keep the bar together and make it easy to hold without deoderising your palms as you use it. It’s not a bad design and it doesn’t crumble easily when you hold it, nor do your hands stink of the product after use. The product comes off on your underarms easily enough and doesn’t need you to really scrub in order to use it – which is a relief because the product is rough! If you rub too hard you are going to take a few layers of skin off which isn’t the idea really.

The product looks attractive when you first receive it as it has dried flowers on the top of it and is a lovely pure white; needless to say the flowers soon fall off after a weeks worth of use and the whitest white doesn’t stay forever either! It’s not a product you’d want to be sharing with other people as after a couple of months it looks … decidedly manky to put it mildly. It gains a coloured 'crust' on the top that does impact on efficiency as well as aesthetics, needing to be scraped off with a sharp implement. Unfortunately, once it has gained a crust once, it seems far more susceptible to regaining a new one... so once it goes manky, it takes effort to keep reasonable/

The scent of the bar is almost overpowering on the bar itself and it has effectively fragranced my top drawer as well and over taken the scents of many perfumes stored in the same drawer. It’s a strong scent of citrus and lemongrass with an undertone of tea tree oil and by jeepers, it near blows you away on the bar itself. Thankfully, it is nowhere near as pungent on the skin as whilst it isn’t an unpleasant smell, the sheer potency would put me off otherwise. There is a residual scent on the skin but it doesn’t linger too long and is mild enough that if you want to you can easily cover it with perfume; even without perfume you won’t be able to smell anything after about an hour and it isn’t too strong before then.

So, the million dollar question; how does it perform? And the answer is, remarkably well indeed. This is an equal deodorant in efficiency to Aromaco which worked wonders for me before exploding my armpits because it was hateful like that. Bah. Either way, T’eo has stood me in remarkably good stead through normal days, stressful days and days that involve lots of hefting around of archive boxes. It lasts the full day on my skin but makes no claims to be any longer lasting than that and that works well enough for me. I did find that as the bar gained more use and gained a top ‘crust’ as such, it became less efficient and this was solves by using a knife to scrape the top layer off to continue using fresh product.

In terms of how long it lasts though, that is going to depend on a couple of factors; firstly, whether you use it on wet underarms frequently, whether that is due to a shower or sweat. The bar takes in moisture and the more it is used on wet underarms, the quicker that crust builds up on it and it becomes inefficient after a while. I found it stopped working completely about half way through my first bar and I was struggling to get through the working day without becoming smelly; that was solved with the above scraping solution. However, this does seem to damage the integrity of the bar making it more likely to fall apart and I found that I had to repeat the attack with sharp objects more often as well which may be due to this. It seems to be more porous perhaps? Or perhaps the surface I created isn’t as smooth, with more bumps and ridges, meaning that small areas of the bar are being used rather than the whole thing. Either way, it extends the life of the bar rather than refreshing it completely. I bought another bar after about six months. I still have the old bar, but it’s become a pest to maintain and use.

It is also admittedly actively far more physically rough on the skin than the Aramaco bar and this is what put me off this product several years ago. That said, you don’t need to scrub hard with the bar; a single swipe will do it and that shouldn’t irritate your skin. It is a pity that the texture isn’t a little more skin friendly though because if my armpits are already sore then I don’t want to be rubbing something that feels like an armadillo’s back onto them. This is actually quite a major flaw when you consider just how sensitive the skin there is.

Ingredients wise, this product is mostly natural with some noted exceptions, there are nineteen ingredients in total with four classed as synthetics. Sodium Bicarbonate is one of the four and is used to neutralize acids in sweat as well as absorbing moisture, Cream of Tartar is then added with Magnesium Carbonate to create the base for the solid deodorant and to carry ingredients whilst Blue Wax is used to coat the bottom of the bar. Apricot Kernel Oil helps to stick deodorant powder to the skin and absorb moisture, Tea Tree Oil and Lemon Oil are antibacterial whilst Juniper Berry Oil is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. Lemongrass Oil is antiseptic and deoderising and Green Grapes have antibacterial and antioxidant properties.

Blue Cornflower Petals are used for purely decorative purposes and then there are the ingredients found in essential oils; Citral smelling of lemon peel, Eugenol of cinnamon, Citronellol has a sweet rose like odour, Limonene with a sweet lemon like odour, Linalool which is soft and sweet and finally Perfume which is vague and recorded as synthetic. All in all, the non-natural elements are Sodium Bicarbonate, Magnesium Carbonate, Blue Wax and perfume.

Price wise this is £5.95 for 90g in comparison to Aromaco’s £4.95 for 100g; personally I’d give Aromaco a go and see if it suits you as it’s less rough in texture, slightly cheaper and better value as you can use the whole bar without having to scrape layers off when it goes mankified. However, that said, I don’t think £5.95 is actually unreasonable for a deodorant that doesn’t set my armpits on fire and lasts me approximately six months (I think; I didn’t buy it online so don’t have an easy reference). It not being an anti-perspirant means that it’s not actually blocking your armpits; it is merely ensuring you don’t stink the room out…and it is certainly successful at that.

Do I Recommend?

It's worth noting that I have gone back to Aramaco because of the flaws listed in the above review. Aramaco as a product lasts longer, doesn't require scraping to get an unsightly crust off and isn't as rough on my underarms. I don't know why I had a reaction to the previous bar, but that hasn't been repeated.

• RICHADA published 11/01/2018
    T’eo very much........my "reaction" to this review entirely predictable! R.
  • Soho_Black published 10/01/2018
    Glad the adverse reaction to the Aramaco seems to have been a one off as it sounds like a superior product.
  • torr published 03/01/2018