Review of "Lush Ultimate Shine Shampoo Bar"

published 08/07/2013 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Pro Makes hair shiny, lovely scent
Cons Irritates scalp
Does it smell good?
What hair type is it for?

"Produces ultimate shine"

Lush Ultimate Shine Shampoo Bar

Lush Ultimate Shine Shampoo Bar

As you will know if you read my reviews regularly, I am a huge fan of the store Lush and am trying to make my way through all their products. The store is famous for its solid products – which are better for the environment owing to the lack of packaging and the reduced number of preservatives needed – and I particularly like the shampoo bars. These are bars of solid shampoo – rather like soap for the hair – which are very handy for travelling, but which are also suitable for use every day.

The Ultimate Shine Shampoo Bar was the final bar I had to try from Lush. I’m not sure why it took me so long, but I was glad to get the chance at last. The bar is white in colour and has little sparkly bits of glitter in – though these are few and far between, and I may as well say now that I never once saw a bit of glitter in my hair from this product, so there’s no need to worry if you can’t stand the stuff.

The bar is round and should fit in one of the shampoo bar tins for travelling purposes (though most of the bars are slightly too big at first so it’s best to use it a few times so that it will fit!). The tins are ideal for transporting the bars while travelling, although don’t put it in while still wet – you won’t be able to get it out again! While I was using the bar at home, I just kept it in the soap dish.

The bar costs £5.25, but it is very economical, lasting for many more washes than a standard liquid shampoo. Lush state that this product “gives a mild but thorough cleanse to take away grease, dirt and build up from hair products”. To use the shampoo, wet your hair and either rub the bar between your hands to create a lather, or rub the bar straight onto your hair. Rub the resulting lather into your hair thoroughly, then rinse as you would normal shampoo. Though this sounds like an unusual product, I find it very easy and simple to use.

So what’s in it? Well, the bar contains violet leaf absolute, which has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, good for the scalp. Ylang ylang and elemi oil add a pleasant scent to the hair. The shampoo also contains sodium lauryl sulfate, which helps to create the lather, though this can cause irritation for some people so it’s worth being aware of it. The bar is suitable for vegans.

I find that this bar is good at cleaning my hair and making it look shiny. I dye my hair and it hasn’t stripped the colour at all. I have dry and damaged hair, but the shampoo doesn’t dry it out. I always have to use conditioner, but this is the same with any shampoo I use. As I mentioned previously, the bar is economical and doesn’t wear down quickly. It has a lovely scent, fresh and floral, which is evident in the solid bar and in the shower, although it has worn off by the time I get out and dry my hair – or perhaps the scent of my conditioner overpowers it!

Unfortunately, the bar isn’t so kind to my scalp. I do get dandruff occasionally and this product seems to exacerbate it, as well as making my scalp rather itchy. I didn’t realise it was the shampoo until it ran out and I switched to another one.

Overall, this is a good shampoo bar that cares for your hair and makes it look shiny. It doesn’t seem to be particularly moisturising or drying so would be good for more ‘normal’ hair types. I would recommend it to everyone except those who suffer from dandruff or sensitive scalps.

• catsholiday published 08/07/2013
    I am not mad on the smell of this one