Review of "MAC Face and Body Foundation"

published 11/05/2007 | Tadders
Member since : 15/07/2005
Pro Moisturising, wide range of colours, lightweight
Cons May be a bit pricey for some

"Beauty in a Bottle"

THE PROBLEM

Over the years I have probably spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds on cosmetics which either don't suit me, don't do what they say they will, or prove to be a very false economy. So last year, believing that I may need to spend a little more to get the results I wanted, I decided to stop being a skinflint and buy some decent foundation for my wedding day. Having been ushered towards a chair on the Clinique counter to be dabbed with various lotions and potions by a lady armed with a make-up sponge and several bottles of foundation (yes, she did work there), she somehow convinced me that I was leaving with the product for me. I have to admit that I almost had faith in her. After all, it looked okay under the bright fluorescent store lights and she did seem to know what she was doing. Add to that the fact that she wasn't orange and I thought I was onto a winner.

Unfortunately, although okay in terms of colour and coverage, it was not okay for my skin and made me look as though my face was peeling. Nice. Supposedly, I have combination skin which means that I have to slap on the moisturiser if I don't want my forehead to resemble sandpaper two hours after I've applied foundation and powder. Just when I was beginning to think that my theory about spending a little more to get a better product was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, my sister bought me a Christmas present which swiftly eliminated my crusty face issue.

THE SOLUTION?

Obviously, I'd heard of MAC make-up before, but had never purchased anything because of the somewhat extortionate prices. I’ve always been a bit wary of expensive make-up because I couldn’t see what made it so much better than the cheap stuff. Now that I’ve finally found the right foundation for me, I do not begrudge spending a lot extra, because this actually works.

MAC Face and Body Foundation comes in a 120ml semi-transparent, squeezy bottle with a black screw top lid and a tiny pinhead-sized opening at the top to prevent spillage. It comes in 13 different shades, is water-based and water resistant and claims to give natural, even coverage without a caked-on effect. It also contains emollients to moisturise the skin and claims to perfect the face and body to the ‘exacting standards of beauty photography’.

MY EXPERIENCE

The first time I used this product I thought I was going to be disappointed again. Before you shake the liquid (which I would advise), it looks very thin in terms of consistency and appears to be a bit shimmery. Close up, it looks as though the different ingredients have separated (much like the way paint goes a bit watery if you don’t stir it first), but bear with me because, although I’m not selling it very well, a quick shake blends the mixture back together and enables you to see that the thin consistency is exactly what keeps the coverage natural.

You can either blend the foundation into the skin with the fingers, or use a make-up sponge according to your preference. I tend to use a sponge and was quite surprised to see that the liquid didn’t immediately soak into it, as it did not seem thick enough to stay put. I also thought that I would need masses of the stuff to get a decent coverage, because it seems to disappear into the skin when you first apply it. It was only after I’d made-up my whole face that I realised it had provided ample cover, although I didn’t look as though I had any make-up on at all even close up. I’m so used to my skin looking a slightly different colour after foundation application, that it took a while to get used to the way it should look if done properly!

The other good thing about this product is the fact that it blends very easily without the need for applying masses of moisturiser beforehand. It also blends easily into other areas of the body, as it is designed to do, so if you wanted to make-up your neck you could do so with little difficulty. Having said that, I’ve obviously got exactly the right colour slap for me because my neck no longer looks a different colour to my face, which is nice!

Either pressed or loose powder goes over the foundation easily and I find that I rarely need to use concealer as well these days. The foundation even does the job when it comes to covering up my eyebags, which is a very tall order at the best of times! You will also be surprised how far a small blob of this will go, but you can actually apply quite a lot of this without it looking as though you’ve caked on the slap with a trowel. I never get that tight, weighed down feeling in my skin with this foundation and it’s the first time I’ve used a foundation which doesn’t make my face feel as though every pore has been blocked with gunge. Your skin can breathe quite happily with both MAC foundation and powder on it.
Perhaps some of the reason for this is that I’m not using half as much foundation and powder as I used to, because this doesn’t make your skin look shiny.

THE CATCH?

Well obviously there’s a catch isn’t there? You can’t look like a flawless-skinned supermodel for nothing! A bottle of this heaven-sent wonderslap costs a whopping £23.00! But, before you judge it too harshly, I think it is a very worthwhile investment. At the risk of sounding as though I’m being mean to Clinique (I’m not by the way – it’s just another pricey brand and is helpful for the comparison), their 30ml superbalanced make-up cost me £17.50 which is £5.83 per 10 ml compared to MAC’s £1.92 per 10ml and lasts no time at all in comparison. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a nice product, but I feel that this is far more effective and natural looking as well as moisturising where I’ve found Clinique make-up to be a little bit drying.

WHAT DO I THINK?

Well, I think I can safely say that I will remain loyal to this brand now I’ve finally found something which actually works. Sometimes it’s worth paying a bit extra, but everyone has different skin and it’s worth asking for some advice before you go splashing out – even if the advice you receive is rubbish! I used to avoid the MAC make-up counters, believing the ladies who worked there to be really intimidating and judgemental, but I’ve been to two different ones now and have received some very helpful and friendly suggestions.

The other advantage with this product is the fact that there are so many shades to choose from that you’ve pretty much guaranteed to find the right one for you.

WHERE CAN I GET ME SOME?

If you don’t like the busy House of Fraser style make-up counters, but like the idea of using MAC products, you can now visit their website and shop online at:

Otherwise, you can find them at places like House of Fraser, Debenhams, Harvey Nichols or Selfridges. The website also has a store finder so you can find your nearest store.

• MissTopaz published 27/06/2017
    This is really helpful, I too have always avoided MAc counters, maybe it's time to try!
  • just.bcoz published 17/03/2008
    Great review, ive never heard of this brand before. It sounds really good though, i might actually try and get some online
  • costas1234 published 21/01/2008
    Great review, some really interesting points, if i was a woman gosh that would be expensive.