Review of "MAC Lip Pencil"

published 02/06/2013 | CosmicLove
Member since : 21/02/2013
Pro Good value, amazing colour, lasting power.. everything!!
Cons None
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"MAC Lip Pencil"

I always find myself reaching for this lip pencil instead of actual lipstick whenever I am doing a bright red lip because I find that the finish is always neater and it lasts a lot longer. I sometimes use it as a 'base' under my lipstick too by filling my lips in with the pencil then applying my lipstick as that way if my lipstick wears away I will not be left with patchy looking lips. I have this lip pencil in cherry which is a beautiful shade of bright red and colour wise it looks a lot like the MAC ruby woo lipstick.

The MAC lip pencils are also available in about 20 other shades too including black, brown, purple, orange etc so there is plenty of choice. The lip pencil is a little longer and thinner than any of my other lip liners and it is a matte black colour with a lid and a coloured end on it which shows the shade of the pencil (mine has a red end). The lid is easy to pull off and it stays on the pencil securely which is good because I don't want the nib getting squashed and it also keeps it hygienic and fresh.

When I first got this lip pencil it came in a sleek, black good quality cardboard MAC box which made it feel extra special and expensive but I didn't see the point in keeping the box and it fits fine in my make-up bag with my other make-up pencils. The nib of the pencil is bright red - it's really pigmented and the colour transfers onto my lips perfectly, the colour pay off is amazing! The nib is soft but not so soft that it feels fragile or like it might break/snap but I did need to wear it down very slightly by rubbing it against some paper when I first got it as it was pointed so too accurate for the purpose I wanted it for, once I'd made it a bit blunter it was still accurate enough to line my lips but I was also able to fill my lips in quickly and neatly.

The pencil doesn't glide over my lips or anything, it does drag very slightly but it isn't painful or anything because the texture is nice and creamy and smooth rather than hard and waxy. Worn on its own it does highlight cracks in my lips so its important to use a lip scrub and moisturise them first before I use it as this makes them nice and smooth so the finish is always nice and neat. It has a matte finish which can look drying even though it doesn't feel drying but a little clear lip gloss or a bit of Vaseline over the top soon solves this problem. The lip pencil isn't drying and I think this is partly down to the formula which contains vitamin E. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is moisturising because it definitely isn't but it isn't drying.

As for the lasting power this is amazing, it stays in place for hours and hours and does not smudge easily or transfer onto glasses etc when I am drinking/eating and there have been times when I'e come home and gone to bed without make up on and the next day when I wake up my lips are still bright red and not at all patchy or anything, which I think is amazing and this is why I think it's worth paying that bit more for such a good quality product! Mine is barely worn down and I have had it for over a year which for around £13 is amazing value in my opinion. I definitely recommend the MAC lip pencils and I really want to try some more shades out! Five out of five stars.

• chrisandmark_is_here published 02/06/2013
    I really must give MAC a whirl x
  • crystalaward published 02/06/2013
    These are the best lip pencils :)

offers "MAC Lip Pencil"