MAC Lipgloss

Lip Make-up - Lip Gloss

Review of "MAC Lipgloss"

published 09/05/2008 | lilyellowfish
Member since : 16/03/2007
Pro Looks good, softens lips, long lasting
Cons Price, can be sticky and turn grainy after a while
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"MAC Lipgloss"

About MAC
~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAC are a well known and reputable Make Up brand, providing make up and their services to many celebrities and models. MAC have always been dedicated to helping people with AIDS, and have raised more than $95 million for the M·A·C AIDS Fund since 1994, so it's nice to know that some of my money is going to a worthy cause. They are so dedicated to this fund that 100% of the retail selling price of their Viva Glam Lipsticks is donated to this charity.

About the Lipgloss
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The colour I use and am reviewing is Prrr, which is a baby pink type colour. Prrr is a lipgloss, but is actually called Lipglass by MAC due to its glass like shine finish on your lips. It is a unique lip gloss available in a wide variety of colours ranging from bright reds to nudes. It is designed to be worn on its own, over lip pencil or lipstick. It's pigmented, very shiny and can impart subtle or dramatic colour. It contains Jojoba Oil which helps soften and condition the lips, whilst also giving you a lovely long lasting colour, it also helps to prevent your skin loosing precious water.

MAC Lipglass has won 'Best Lipgloss' in the most recent In Style Beauty Awards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why I purchased this lipgloss
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, I'm going to sound really sad and shallow now but the reason I purchased this lipgloss is because Paris Hilton uses it! I know, I know, a very sad thing for me to do! Her lips always look so lovely and the colour she wears suits her, and I have very similar colouring to her, wear similar clothes and have the same hair so I knew this would suit me as it looks fantastic on her.

Use & Effects
~~~~~~~~~~~~

My lips are quite large but are not outlined very well, and I have a faded white lipline, which looks awful. Lipsticks and lip pencil doesn't really suit my facial colourings, they tend to look too harsh. My lips are naturally quite pink in colour, so just emphasising that is the best thing I can do too my lips. The lipgloss isn't too dark, it just gives my lips a nice even colour and gives them dimension.

Prrr is a pale shimmery pink colour which is great for a natural look or when you have more dramatic eye make up on. It is the perfect baby pink with shimmer. A real girlie colour, but even if you're not a girlie girl, it can suit you. It also smells gorgeous, it has a hint of vanilla without being overpowering, it lasts good enough to eat. It is perfect for a day or night look, it doesn't look too dressed up in the day and too dressed down at night. The colour and the shimmer are just right to be suited for both occasions.

The lipgloss is packaged in lovely smart looking box with MAC written subtly across it. The box looks professional and worth the money, you definately wouldn't be ashamed to purchase it and carry it around. The lipgloss comes in a convenient bottle with a sponge tip applicator that provides a quick, smooth, even application.

Throughout uses, the applicator remains clean, it doesn't clog up at all, saving you the hassle of trying to clean it without ruining it.
You don't need to apply too much, as a little goes a long way, it is a lovely thick lipgloss and isn't water based so you can just apply it to your bottom or top lip and then put your lips together to spread it. When you've applied it to your lips, it instantly looks smooth, shiney with a lovely finish. You can really feel it moisturising your lips but I do find it a little sticky and tacky. If you go out and it's windy, your hair will blow right into your lips and get stuck - very annoying! To overcome the stickyness, if you apply a lip balm like vaseline underneath.

If you have very dry and chapped lips, I find you can't put this on as it sticks to the dry bits and highlights them even more, so I tend to apply something like Vaseline and let that relieve my lips of the dry bits then apply the lipgloss. The colour and shine lasts for several hours, but it won't be as shiney and intense by this time. If you drink or eat, the lipgloss does wear off a lot quicker than if you didn't. When the lipgloss has been on for several hours, I have noticed that it can start to feel a little grainy, so I wipe it off and reapply. Even when the lipgloss is no longer on your lips - that you can see your lips feel lovely and moisturisered and smooth still. The lipgloss feels soft and smooth on your lips, it doesn't sting or irritate, even if you do put it on sore or chapped lips. I have found I am allergic to so many lipglosses and other lip products, my lips just balloon up and put Angelina Jolie's to shame but luckily this lipgloss has never done anything like that to my lips and I have had no problems with it. The lipgloss is easy to remove at the end of the day, it can be removed with facial wipes, water or cleanser, you can remove it with a tissue but I do find you are still left with some residue.

Price & Availability
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a 4.8g tube, you will be looking to pay £10.50. It can be purchased directly from MAC's website and most department stores, I purchased mine from Selfridges. Although this is quite expensive for a lipgloss, I think it is worth it and it does last a long time. I have had mine for over 6 months now, use it several times daily and I haven't even got through half of the tube yet, so it really does last. Throughout this time, the lipgloss doesn't start to go funny, it remains in the same state as it was when it was purchased.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Conclusion
~~~~~~~~~~~

I would recommend this lipgloss, it is available in a huge variety of colour so there will be a colour to suit everyone. It has strong lasting power and moisturisers your lips while making them look luscious and although it is expensive, it lasts such a long time that it is worth it. It does have a few disadvantages, but that can be expected with majority of lipglosses and the problems are easily overcome.

• S.Bate published 24/06/2008
    I'm not a big fan of lip gloss, good review anyway.
  • avacarrdo published 31/05/2008
    The whole 10.50 pounds and the Paris Hilton thing ensures that I will never, ever buy this product =)
  • becky_tredget published 31/05/2008