Review of "MAM Starter & Clip Teether"

published 02/05/2016 | linzee_loulabelle
Member since : 26/11/2004
Thank you so much for any E given on a review! I appreciate them so much! Wow... Gold finally! mehimthedogandababy.com
Pro Design, size, clip
Cons Not really for 1 month olds
Pain Relief
Easy to use

"Testing teethers"

MAM Starter & Clip Teether

MAM Starter & Clip Teether

I really can't believe that Erin is teething already. She's 4 months old. I thought we had ages until we got anywhere near this stage but apparently I have no idea how babies work and I really am learning as I go. Erin is a big old drooly mess at the moment and her poor gums always seem to hurt. Teehing gel is working on and off but a teether is what Erin needs. Unfortunately, she's not very good at holding things yet seeing as her hands are still super small. I have tried a few different teethers with her but until just the other day, she hasn't really liked any of them!

Price/ Availability

I saw the MAM starter teether and clip while looking for something else on Amazon and only really bought it because I could clip it to Erin without her throwing it on the floor. For £4.94 I got something fantastic and a teether Erin loves. This teether and clip is pink and is also available in green or blue.

The teether

This teether comes in two separate pieces, the actual teether and the clip/ ribbon so there is the option to not have it attached should you not need it.

The ribbon attaches to the teether by looping over the bottom of it and is then secured by a velcro strap. The ribbon is a good 3 or so inches long so it's the perfect length for Erin as I can either attach the clip at the bottom to either her bib or the top of her trousers/ bottom of her t-shirt. The security clip is a lot better designed than I thought it would be. The clip is around an inch long and has a clear piece of plastic going over a chunk of it. When this is slid one way or the other, the clip either opens up or locks shut. It would be impossible for Erin to work this herself so I have no worries about her pulling it off.

The teether itself is sort of egg shaped with a large hole in the middle. The top half of the teether is pink with raised bits while the bottom half is white, also with raised parts. These raised parts are intended to help relieve pain on the gums and also give the child something interesting to feel. Each side has different shapes so no matter where the child feels, there is something exciting for them. The design is really quite simple but effective and does everything it needs to do.

Erin's experience

Unlike some teethers we've tried, this one is just the right width. It is intended to be used by children ages 1 month and older so the teether needs to be quite thin so it can be held by little hands. As you can see from the pictures, she can hold this one really well with either one or both hands and she can put it in her mouth all on her own. She gets so excited when she does this for the first time every day. It's like she forgets that she can do it and looks so proud of herself and giggles at me.

Erin will quite happily chomp away on this teether for 15 or 20 minutes before getting frustrated that it doesn't reach the back of her mouth! She then throws it down in a bit of a huff which is where the clip comes in super handy! I think it would have been better had the top of the teether been a bit narrower so that babies can get it further in their mouths (but not so far to choke) just to give a bit more relief.

Cleaning the teether

Unfortunately, I have thrown away the packaging and I cannot find any information online (even the MAM website) about whether or not this is steriliser or dishwasher safe. Now, we don't have a dishwasher so I haven't tested it out but I have put the teether (not the clip or ribbon) in our steriliser. It has come out absolutely fine so I would definitely clean it again in this way. Otherwise, I would say just to give this a wipe down with a clean cloth.

Overall

While I don't think this is really suitable for children aged 1 month, it is perfect for Erin at 4 months old. She can hold it well, understands what it is for and loves shoving it in her face! I wish we'd got it a few weeks go really.

• 1st2thebar published 03/05/2016
    E-worthy.
  • RICHADA published 03/05/2016
    Very good indeed. R.
  • Secre published 03/05/2016
    Hopefully Erin gets past this discomfort quickly!