MGF Roadster 1.8

MGF Roadster 1.8

Convertible - Petrol, Diesel

Review of "MGF Roadster 1.8"

published 26/09/2001 | JillW
Member since : 26/09/2001
Pro Sleek good looks, lovely leather interiors, maximum posing potential.
Cons Small boot so can't fit in much shopping, pushchairs etc.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"MGF VVC - A Womans Point Of View"

My opinion on the MGF VVC is based purely on female fancy so apologies in advance to any 'techie buffs' out there.

To set the scene; it was late on a rainy Saturday afternoon and after ploughing through the housework, dropping various kids off at various places and persuading the husband that it was in his best interests to leave the pub whilst he could still stand, we happened to drive past the local car dealership.
There she was!!
Even the rain couldn't diminish the shiny, red, beauty of the MGF parked on the forecourt.
Did I mention that she was shiny and red? Thought so!
'What a beautiful car' I breathed reverently.
'Girly, hairdressers car' hiccupped the husband, (apologies to any hairdressers - his opinion, not mine!).....'Totally impractical for you - where would the kids sit?'
'Exactly!!'
With thoughts of driving around the countryside, top down, music blaring (what do you mean, ABBA isn't trendy??) and most importantly, NO KIDS, I dragged him into the sales office.
Half an hour later we were the proud owners of a 'P' Reg MGF VVC (apparently the VVC means it goes faster & has a higher specification than the normal MGF - whatever that means!), costing a grand total of £10,999.
I know that the car isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a family car but for me, someone that is always practical, dependable and getting frighteningly close to 35, it is something frivolous and exciting.
Something purely for me that appeals to my vanity and makes me feel wildly successful and desirable - like one of those glamourous women you see and always secretly wish you could be more like, instead of plain Mrs so & so or 'mum'.
The MGF is an escape into another world - never mind the engine size or any of the boring technical bits - it looks wonderful, has lovely leather interiors, handy little pockets for your mobile and lippy and, best of all, will beat most other cars at the traffic lights!!!
On the minus side, the boot is a bit small and only fits in a couple of shopping bags so unless you are on a minimalist diet, the weekly shopping trip to Tescos is out. Also, the engine is in the boot and gets fairly hot so Mums not going to Iceland!
The best thing about the MGF is the fantastic feeling you get on a hot, sunny day, when you can take the top down and drive along with the wind in your hair, Bjorn, Benny, Agnetha & the other one on the stereo (and if you can't get a sitter - the baby seat will always strap into the passenger seat!).

• Bigbaz published 27/09/2001
    Welcome to ciao. This is an excellent first op. VVC also means "very very costly" when it goes wrong. lol...Baz
  • pauljm published 27/09/2001
    Hi and welcome to Ciao. An inspiring and aspirational opinion rather than being truly informative but I enjoyed it anyway. Good luck, Paul.
  • TallTone published 27/09/2001
    Your taste in music is clearly not as reliable as your taste in cars! There is a good book by Tony Parsons (Man & Boy) which starts with an almost identical situation to that which you describe - except it's a bloke that buys the shiny MGF. In his case, it leads to a one-night stand that breaks up his marriage - hope the same is not true for you! Oh sorry, I've waffled rather. Welcome to Ciao - this is a very good first opinion; you may not have bored the pants off me with technical detail but you did in fact tell me quite a lot about the car - hence the rating. Reread your work and you might be surprised! My sister-in-law drives one of these little beauties and I must admit to being quite impressed. I will be looking out for your next opinion! Regards, TT.