moley1a 5

moley1a

Member since:05.06.2003

Topless driving

06.06.2003

Advantages:
Makes driving real fun

Disadvantages:
unless you can't get the hood down

Road Handling

3. wrowe
  1. phoenix072124
  2. Neolad2020r
  3. molelover

I would like to have been able to say this car improved my pulling power - but women just dont want to go driving topless with me.

So I'm going to have to revert to the real reasons I bought this car.

It was the '95 model, in BRG, with only 15,000 on the clock for only £7k. Traded in a Treg 1.6 16v sport Astra and £2k for it.
There we others on the showroom floor but they had slightly higher milage and everyone has warned me about the cylinder head gaskets needing replaced at 50,000 miles.

Right - thats the boring stuff over with - now onto the car.

I dont know a thing about the oily bits, except they are under the bonnet - or boot in this case. Mid engined rear wheel drive sounds impressive on paper. As does the hydrogas suspension - untill someone told me that bit came from the Austin Miestro. But you soon get the gist when you drive the thing. Much more precise on a turn in than the other fleet lead 5 door hatchbacks on the market place. Quite peppy with the base 1.8 16v rover lump behind you. It's not supposed to be a superfast car as the noise on most soft tops cannot be bearable past 70mph. I suppose the VVC version must be a real storm though.

It can get a bit crashy on some of the inner city public roads. But that's not the cars fault. You are greatfull of the low ride and firm suspension on the open country roads - where I chose to live. Roof down summer fun has never been this much fun.

It reminds me of my childhood with my Raliegh Chopper going down a hill really fast - Wind whipping at your hair, big grin on my face with flies sticking to my teeth and a slight scary exhiliration in the pit of my stomach - but with the ability to stop.
The brakes are realy good. Disks all round gives you the confidence to push it a bit more into that bend, knowing you can stop if you want to. Same for the stop start traffic driving - no sence of fade with the 100 or sop stop start sprints you will have to do in the comuter rush, and no sence of impending doom when the car infront jams all on.

The hoods easy enough to put up and down. I saw on the Porsche website that the Boxster lowers then raises the windows when opening and closing the doors. Good Idea. When I raise the hood I drop the windows and then raise them when the hoods up. Perfect seal everytime. I have had no leaks that other people complain about. As for cold days (what we british call Summer Days) with the top down isn't a problem. The furnace that heats the cabin copes realy well keeping you warm when there's a bit of a chill in the air.

There's the boot aswell. Its big enough for a weeks groceries or a week away or a set of golf clubs or...... well you get the idea. The cabins good enough for 2 but don't excpect to have anything else in there with you.
I said before that the handelings better than a fleet led 5 door. You buy what you get - a 2 door, soft top sports car.

NFU Mutual are by far the best insurance broker around. Listen to this. They also do Home Insurance. From the same local office, by the same local people who do the car insurance, farmers insurance etc, etc. When I phoned up for a home insurance quote, the girl recognised my address and voice as I had car insurance with them. That's service for you.
Unfortunally they only insure sensible cars, MGF doesn't fall into that catagory, as they quoted nearly a grand for fully comp. I had to go with a call centre led insurance company at about £500 fully comp. The story here is shop around.
(I work in a call centre and I pray to god I never have an accident. Not because of the damage to a really nice car - but because my phone bill will rocket).

Servicing shouldn't be a problem if you take the car to Rover or an indipendant garage - due to the engine location. Again - shop around. The garage I bought mine from has an ex Rover mechanic working there and they are local. I suppose thats why he specialises in them.

There were other soft tops on the market - some have a bit more drama going for them (MX5) or a good name (BMW). The MGF is slightly cheeper than the opposition in the second hand market because of the bad rep a few people have given them. Leaks, engine and finish. But if you are buying second hand and older than 5 years - dont forget to ask about some of the common problems. If they haven't happened (and there's no evidence) then it probably won't happen.
Read a few of the owners web sites rather than the message boards and you will see what a good deal the MGF will make.

Neolad2020r 06.06.2003 14:40

not a bad op at all welcome:)lenny..myself and Denzel often like the top down,we are thinking of getting a car!

suthy25 06.06.2003 13:54

I used to have a Maestro and it was bloody awful. Glad they were able to use some of it's parts and not remake the damn thing.

torr 06.06.2003 12:45