MSI Ti4200-VTD8X Graphics card 128 MB DDR SDRAM

MSI Ti4200-VTD8X Graphics card 128 MB DDR SDRAM

Review of "MSI Ti4200-VTD8X Graphics card 128 MB DDR SDRAM"

published 13/04/2004 | danny182
Member since : 24/03/2004
Pro Great performance, overclocking friendly.
Cons Noisy and kicks out alot of heat.
Speed
Stability
Ease of Installation
Picture Quality

"Proper Pixels"

I just recently tried installing Deus Ex II invisible war and when I tried to run it the dreaded pop-up reared its ugly head, "Graphics card does not meet required specification". Now I had known for a while that my old graphics card (MX440 64MB) was the bottle neck in my system but I still thought that it would be able to play all the modern games even if it wasn't in max resolution. I purchased this card from my mate at work for £40 as he had upgraded to a 4600 TI card.

As soon as I had taken the card from its protective bag I could see the difference between this and my old unit. It is a large AGP card with a very large heatsink and fan for the processor. It was simple enough to fit, slot in and close the clasp and boot up.

Windows XP detected the new card but I chose to install the drivers from the supplied CD. Installation was quick and easy, and I was benchmarking the new card within 15 mins of taking it out the bag.

For the benchmark figures I best give you a quick spec list of my PC :- Athlon 2000XP+ , 512 MB 2700 PCI RAM, MSI KT333 ULTRA motherboard and my new graphics card. Previous score with my MX440 and the same system as above on 3DMARK was 3800, new score 9200 !!! After playing Deus Ex and X2 the threat I can confirm I can now play in max resolution with all options turned to max (except antialiasing and shadows) and still get 60+ fps, with the added bonus of having all the fancy eye candy present and correct.

Overclocking on this card is simple as MSI have provided a windows based overclocking program where you simply hi the AUTO button and the processor and memory is increased in 1 mhz steps untill it crashes and then will reboot at the step below to ensure stabilty. The program works great and the amount you want to turn up the juice is just governed by your temps inside your PC. By using this overclocking faciltiy I have had no stabiltiy issues and have upped my 3DMARK score to around 9500.

The MSI live update feature that is also installed when you fit the card constantly checks the manufacturers website and will update any software drivers for you without you even realising it. This makes the card an excellent buy for anyone in the mindset of stick it in and leave it.

The card is noisy once installed but I think this is inervitable with the size of the fan which is on the processor, I have also noted that my internal temp has risen 2 degrees celcius.

I realise that not everyone has a mate at work who has selling one of these cards but prices on the .net range from about £80 - £110. Even at this price I think the performance easily matches that of newer cards.

Double the performance + £40 expenditure = Happy Daniel

• herby30 published 13/04/2004
    Oooh Danny, like the piccie, sorry I've just seen it lol, Heather :o)
  • Rabid published 13/04/2004
    Very nice review and a very nice product, i can vouch for that as i used to own one :)
  • KRISPY13 published 13/04/2004
    I need new grafix card, didn't know it was so easy on XP...Kris

Product Information : MSI Ti4200-VTD8X Graphics card 128 MB DDR SDRAM

MSI G4 Ti4200-VTD8X is based on nVIDIA's GeForce4 Ti chipset delivering the most radically immerse graphic environments ever seen on a desktop PC. Groundbreaking features including the advanced nfiniteFX II engine, superior Accuview Antialiasing techniques and flexible nView multi-display technology, deliver screaming performance and fierce processing power - for truly unmatched ferocious graphics power. It also incorporates the advanced power of the AGP 8X.

Product Description: MSI G4 Ti4200-VTD8X graphics card - GF4 Ti 4200 - 128 MB, MSI G4 Ti4200-TD8X graphics card - GF4 Ti 4200 - 128 MB, MSI G4 Ti4200-VTP8X graphics card - GF4 Ti 4200 - 128 MB

Device Type: Graphics card

Bus Type: AGP 8x

Graphics Engine: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

Memory: 128 MB / 128 MB (max) - DDR, 128 MB - DDR

RAMDAC: 350 MHz

Max Resolution: 2048 x 1536

Max Monitors Supported: 2

Interfaces: 1 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI ¦ 1 x S-video output - 4 PIN mini-DIN ( with adapter ) ¦ 1 x composite video input - RCA ( with adapter ) ¦ 1 x composite video output - RCA ( with adapter ) ¦ 1 x S-video input - 4 PIN mini-DIN ( with adapter ) ¦ 1 x VGA output - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)

API Supported: OpenGL, DirectX, DirectDraw, Direct3D

Effective Memory Clock: 500 MHz

Video Input: Video in

General

MPN: G4TI4200-VTD8X, TI4200-VTD8X, G4TI4200-TD8X LITE, TI4200-TD8X, G4TI4200-VTP8X

Device Type: Graphics card

Size: 128 MB / 128 MB (max), 128 MB

Technology: DDR SDRAM

Effective Clock Speed: 500 MHz

Video Output

Supported Display Graphics: VGA (640x480), XGA (1024x768), SVGA (800x600), SXGA (1280x1024), UXGA (1600x1200), QXGA (2048x1536), 1152x864, 1920x1200

Colours Max Resolution (external): 32-bit colour

System Requirements

OS Required: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition / Windows ME

Miscellaneous

Cables Included: 1 x video adapter

Software Included: Drivers & Utilities, Adobe Acrobat Reader, PC-cillin 2000, MSI 3D!Turbo Experience, LockBox, ThinSoft BeTwin

Compliant Standards: PC 99