Review of "M&S Crush Bamboo Chopping Board"

published 29/04/2012 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Pro Fab design, strong and durable
Cons None

"M&S Crush Bamboo Chopping Board"

I don't often shop in Marks and Spencer's, however last Christmas one of my uncles gave me a £25 M&S voucher. For a few months it sat in my purse while I tried to decide what to spend it on, and I eventually used it in late March. Me and my boyfriend are in the process of moving into our home and we have been buying all new stuff to start afresh - new sofa, new bed, new wardrobes and so on, and I thought that this chopping board would suit our light oak kitchen really well. We already had a cheap plastic chopping board that my mum had picked up for me, but I though that this looked so much better. My boyfriend wasn't too keen on this at first, he said it would look stupid as it's so bulky however I couldn't resist it and bought it - along with lots of other goodies!

This chopping board is quite expensive, however the modern, unique design and visibly high quality makes it well worth the price tag, which is £9.50. We got the large chopping board, however it is also available in small, which costs £2 less. I personally think Marks' are a little off with their measurements as in my opinion this is more medium sized then large, and the small is way too little in my opinion, however as the board is quite chunky in thickness it makes up for it a little. My medium chopping board measures 30cm wide and it is 18cm in height. Not huge, but a reasonable size for cutting up a couple of veggies at a time.

The chopping board comes loose, and has a little tag attatched stating the brand and product name. I didn't read this tag until I had gotten home and was suprised when I realised it was bamboo, rather than wood like I had initially assumed. The bamboo is fair trade bamboo and the board is solid, and the quality really shines through. The board has an unusual, modern design - it looks completely natural and although is quite simplistic and basic in design it has a bit of edge to it due to the contrasting colours - light, almost auburn brown, with darker brown stripes varying in thickness across it - it is similar to how oak looks really.

The chopping board is a simple square shape with a handle on the left hand corner. This is easy to grip and it can be used either while transferring food from the board into the frying pan etc or it can be used as a hanging hoop - we use the handle as just that, a handle, and we store it on our kitchen work top where it sits neatly. The board is quite solid and heavy so it is best to put food into a bowl once chopped and then transferring it into whatever you are using to cook it in.

Preparing food on this is incredibly easy and unlike plastic chopping boards, it does not produce that clanging kind of noise when rapidly chopping. The board does not scratch easily as it is glazed, and we have not damaged it at all in almost a month. It also is knife friendly so does not blunt knives. Cleaning the board is easy, despite it not being dishwasher safe. M&S reccomend to wipe it clean, and I usually wipe it with a damp cloth and add a little oil onto it and rub it in to keep the bamboo looking nice. The chopping board is a really effecient and hygienic way to prepare food and it looks great. Although it is pretty expensive I highly reccomend it because it is such high quality. I absolutely love the design and I think it would go with almost any kitchen decor!

• Randal1 published 29/04/2012
    This sounds quite trendy and good.