After alot of online research I forked out £220 for the penguin/grey XLR.
Loved the colour-in between red and magenta.A bit different,and i wasn't keen on the other maclaren colours.
Was so excited to set up the new pushchair(more robust than a buggy in my mind).
There are a few things i don't like about the XLR:
- I was shocked at how big it was,especially the hood.It's much bigger than it needs to be.
- The wheels are hollow plastic.so are noisy and rattley going over stoney terrain.
- When folded it is not at all compact-it could be alot more compact but doesn't fold up tight enough.Makes it awkward to manouvre when folded compared to my old Mamas&papas.
- Due to the light frame and hollow wheels,it can tip easily in the wind before putting your baby in,and if baby is lying flat it feels like it might easily tip if you hang shopping bags on the handles.
- I like handles at a good height(i am 5ft7),but these are too high for me at their lowest setting.My arms ache after a half hour of pushing.
My main gripe is how un-compact it is when folded,as we have limited space once all children are in the car. If you have very limited space in the car,check folded measurements before buying.I wish i had.
- I don't trust the brakes at all-these are the worst breaks i've experienced after 3 children and 5 prams/buggies.They release too easily,and often after applying them they click off again-makes me nervous so i always have one hand on the buggy even when brakes are on.
However,there are lots of good points also.
- Lovely,lasting quality fabric.Footmuff is amazing-thickly padded and very good protection from the elements.
- Easy to fold and unfold with one hand.
- Looks top-notch,if your into impressive looking baby-kit.I'm not.I bought it for the quality.
- The pockets in the back of the hood are so handy-couldn't be without them.Big enough to pop your purse,keys,mobile,and a baby snack into when dashing out the door and not wanting to bring a bag.
- The sun visor is a great idea,and handy for light showers,although the rain cover is so easy to put on in a hurry,and is good quality so doesn't feel as though it might rip at the corners,as many others do.
- So easy to lift and recline seat smoothly.Lies nice and flat for naps.
- Its a dream to manouvre around shops,etc.So light and smooth to push,and handles kerbs briliantly.
- So,so comfy for chilren.Seat pad,strap covers,and 5 point harness mean your little one is comfy and safe.Harness buckle is tricky until you get the hang of it,but no child will be able to undo it,so a bonus.Adjustable leg rest is great as well.
So all in all,this pushchair is fit for a little prince,or princess,but it's certainly not without it's downsides.
Paying such alot of money,i was secretly hoping there wouldn't be any downsides.