Malibu Soothing After Sun Lotion with Aloe Vera

Malibu Soothing After Sun Lotion with Aloe Vera

Lotion - Lotion

Review of "Malibu Soothing After Sun Lotion with Aloe Vera"

published 29/09/2013 | Wee_Jackie_163
Member since : 13/03/2009
~ Thanks for my shiny new diamond.. ~ Dipping my toe back in.. ~
Pro Great value - Convenient packaging - Easy to use - Kind to sensitive skin..
Cons The aroma takes a bit of getting used to..
Does it smell good?
How easily is it absorbed?
Cooling & refreshing power

"Skin's Sun Soother..."

My handy tube; note the convenient packaging.

My handy tube; note the convenient packaging.

~ Malibu Soothing After Sun With Aloe Vera ~

I am very fortunate in that my husband and myself are able to travel around throughout the course of the year, and we enjoy taking trips abroad, as well as within the UK. It is because of our frequent holiday-taking that I tend to stock up on various sun protection and sun care items throughout the year, often taking advantage of any 'multi-buy' deals and promotional offers that I see available. During springtime of this year, I took advantage of some great bargains in a local branch of Savers, the discounted drugstore, and opted to stock up on various Sun Care items from a variety of brands. One item that I purchased at this time was from the well-known Malibu range, namely the "Soothing After Sun Lotion", with this review outlining my experiences of using the product.

This particular After Sun Lotion is provided in a tube rather than a bottle, and this white-coloured tube is a rather nifty 75ml in size; it kind of resembles your average toothpaste product in terms of weight/size. At the time of purchase, it struck me that this little item would be ideal for popping in a bag or more petite carry-on holdall due to its convenient size and weight, which is part of the reason I purchased it. I paid in the region of £1.50, I believe, for the tube of Malibu After Sun earlier this year.

Stockists of the product include www.amazon.co.uk, where the current price is around £3, and there are occasional listings on www.ebay.co.uk where prices tend to fluctuate between £2 - £6, with postage charges applying on occasion. I do find that the Malibu range of Sun Care products will often crop up in various discount stores such as TJ Hughes and Home Bargains, so it is worth keeping an eye out when browsing in such stores, I find. (Info correct as @ September 2013)

The first point to note, I think, is how convenient and handy I find the packaging of this particular product; there is no cumbersome, bulky bottle to pack in my suitcase when travelling, nor does the product take up a lot of room on the bathroom shelf. Instead, the neat tube is light and easy to carry and store. Another thing I like about the packaging is that I find the plastic tube is a dream when it comes to dispensing the lotion; it is so easy to squeeze the plastic tube when compared to some of the heavy bottles that I have from other brands - these are often rather difficult for me to use as their materials are heavy and robust, and as I suffer with limited mobility that affects the strength in my hands, the easy-peasy dispensing of the Malibu Lotion from it's handy tube was instantly noticeable by me.

The lotion itself is white in colour, with a glossy appearance and I find it is quite thin in its consistency, although it doesn't drip from the skin or run all over the place when it is squeezed from the tube. I find it's thin consistency allows it to spread over the skin's surface easily and quickly, which is ideal as far as I am concerned; I can't be bothered rubbing creams and lotions repeatedly over my skin to get them to spread around, particularly when I am on holiday and have little time - or patience - for anything that feels fussy or too much like hard work!

I find there is a pleasant scent noticeable as the Malibu Lotion is spread over my skin, which I think is faintly reminiscent of baby lotion as it makes its first appearance. This 'powdery' element to the lotion's scent quickly subsides, however, and is overtaken by something more 'perfumed', with a more robust fragrance being noticeable as the lotion begins to absorb into the skin. I find that this second scent is not as pleasant as the first one, and although I think it is a slightly 'cheap' scent, I couldn't say it is off-putting or unpleasant. To be quite truthful, I find that the lotion's scent doesn't hang around too long; as soon as it begins to sink into the skin, it starts to subside, with it fading altogether a short time afterwards. I do find that other scented products such as body sprays and perfumes will easily 'swamp' the Malibu Lotion's fragrance too, so even if the lotion's scent DID feel a bit over-bearing, I could take some assurance that it wouldn't be overly invasive or particularly long-lasting, at least.

I find there is a pleasant cooling sensation present on the skin from this lotion, which I can only presume is down to the inclusion of Aloe Vera in its ingredients; this is listed on the front of the white tube along with Vitamin E. I have found in the past that the inclusion of Aloe Vera in 'aftercare' Sun Products is often helpful, particularly when the skin has been over-exposed to the sun's harmful rays. I have found in the past that After Sun products containing Aloe Vera have helped to take the 'sting' out of sunburned skin too, so I did like the fact that the Malibu Lotion contained this helpful addition. I did wonder too whether this addition related to the "Soothing" claim in the product's appealing name.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the Malibu Lotion's ability to cope with sunburn, as I have been even more vigilant than usual this summer when taking steps to protect my skin from the sun's rays; our weather was much hotter than usual and whilst this was glorious and enjoyable, I found myself slapping on a high-factor sun cream most days to ensure I didn't burn. My careful approach paid off and I was rewarded with burn-free skin throughout most of the summer. I did, however, use the Malibu Soothing After Sun Lotion most evenings, in a bid to maintain the little colour I managed to obtain from repeated outings in the sun. I found this was very pleasant to use after my evening bath most evenings, and the product felt like it slotted into this skincare routine quite easily, which I liked.

I did feel that the Malibu product's ability to become fully absorbed into the skin had a part to play in me reaching this conclusion; this is a significant complaint I have where other After Sun products are concerned, as many of these will take an absolute age to become fully absorbed. This really annoys me, and I do find that said products are rather inconvenient to take on holidays abroad, particularly as I favour easy-to-use, 'fuss-free' products when on holiday. The Malibu Lotion, on the other hand, becomes absorbed rather quickly, which I assume is down to it's thin, light texture and consistency-perfect!

Another definite plus point for me personally is that I find the Malibu After Sun Lotion is without any tackiness or greasiness during or after use; after absorption too, there is no annoying residue or 'clamminess' left behind that makes my skin feel uncomfortable. Instead, I find that my skin is completely soft and moisturised, dry and free from grease.

In terms of the product's ability to cope with my dry/sensitive skin, I can confirm that I have suffered nothing in the way of aggravation or irritation to my sensitive skin, which WILL flare aggressively if inferior products are used. My troublesome skin has remained largely 'untouched' by the product, with my dry skin still requiring adequate moisturisation each day to combat the dry skin present, but without further dryness being experienced that would see me discarding the product altogether whilst branding it as being completely useless. These results are pretty much on a par with most other good quality After Sun products that I have used over the course of the last 12 months or so, so I have no cause for complaint.

Based on the impressive results obtained from my first purchase of this product, it was the first After Sun Lotion of choice when, during a visit to a local branch of Savers, I was recently selecting such products for a forthcoming trip to Spain next month. I purchased another of the 75ml tubes for this trip, paying only £1 which is excellent value, especially when I have so little in the way of negative comments to report within this review.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I do really recommend the Malibu Soothing After Sun Lotion AND it's convenient packaging, and I will certainly seek out the product for future trips and holidays! Nothing but full marks in the product rating score feels justified on this occasion.

• shopper86 published 29/05/2014
    excellent review i love this product and you have described it perfectly : )
  • Graygirl published 03/10/2013
    This sounds brilliant - my sister-in-law swears by Aloe Vera, and even keeps a plant on her windowsill for a very direct application! Excellent review. x
  • xmum2fourx published 01/10/2013
    Great review x

offers "Malibu Soothing After Sun Lotion with Aloe Vera"