Review of "Margaret Yorke"

published 15/01/2008 | CPTDANIELS
Member since : 14/06/2003
Hello, thanks to all those who continue to read and rate my reviews. I only rate those who rate me these days but if I miss you please let me know as I am not here as much as I used to be. Thanks Chris
Pro Wonderful story with superb characters
Cons No Epilogue, no humour
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability

"A Small Deceit by Margaret Yorke"

About the Author

Margaret Yorke is a very accomplished, respected and famous English crime writing author.
Her first book 'Summer Flight' was Published in 1957. Since then she was written 41 other crime novels.
In 1999 she won the CWA Cartier Diamond Dagger Award for 'The Scent of Fear'.

Storyline of the Book

The book is set in the late 1980's in Northamptonshire.

William Adams is a dangerous and unpredictable man. He has recently been released from prison having served seven years of a ten year sentence for rape.

As soon as he is released he changes his name in order to start a new life. By doing this he is not known to the Police and the Sex Offenders Register. After a couple of short term illegal money making scams, he is on the look out for a new way to make money.

One night he stays at a Bed and Breakfast in a small village called Witherstone under his latest assumed name of Frank Brown. Here at breakfast he meets a fellow lodger for the night a man called Desmond Baxter.

This man he recognises as the judge who sentenced him to prison. But why is he staying there? Why is he lying about his identity now? And what is the reason for this small deceit?

After Breakfast Frank decided to follow him, seeing a possibility of blackmailing the Judge. Finding out where he lives and via local directories his home telephone number.
What he doesn't realise is that the man calling himself Desmond Baxter also recognises him.

My thoughts on the book

The actual storyline for this book is intriguing. It moves quickly and at no time do you have the opportunity to get bored with it. Indeed I found this book so hard to put down that I had read it in just two days. A record for a slow reading like myself.

This I believe is due not only to the compelling story but the way the author skilfully writes. Her writing is always clear and crisp with fantastically interesting characters that are described in superb detail.

What she does cleverly is draw you in with her story that leaves you having to know more. While at the same time you are wondering which way things will go and what will happen next.

She is great at building up suspense and leaving you not only understanding the characters but wondering what will become of each one of them.

The author links up all the characters and events so well, she seemed to have considered every aspect and is clearly amazing at understand and insight into human nature.

So often I find the end of a book disappointing, this was not the case in this one however. As Yorke skilfully brings the book to a thrilling climax. Maybe an epilogue would have been a good thing to add as I really want to know what happens in the next few months to all the characters. I certainly would have appreciated it!!

Conclusion

For me this is a first class piece of crime fiction and a must read for all Margaret Yorke fans. Even for someone who has never tried her books I would recommend giving it a go. I have read five of her books so far and enjoyed them all. They are not heavy books just a very enjoyable read.

Great read and thoughly enjoyable book

It has 314 pages and is Published by Time Warner ISBN: 07515 17720

Available on Amazon for £5.59

CPTDANIELS

• dnl05 published 30/03/2009
    Great review!
  • debmercury published 24/01/2009
    Well reviewed :o) x
  • lillamarta published 04/03/2008
    Great review here, sounds like a good read.