Marks & Spencer (Department Stores)

Marks & Spencer (Department Stores)

Review of "Marks & Spencer (Department Stores)"

published 26/01/2001 | Diane22025
Member since : 25/01/2001
Pro I got my money back
Cons the upset and arguments
Frequency of visit
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range

"Poor Level of Service"

I recently bought a wool suit from Marks for my husband.The suit was worn every week for six months until a large hole appeared on the seat ..I took the suit back and expressed my dissatisfaction .The member of staff called another member of staff and this process continued until a manager arrived 10-15 minutes later.I was advised that if I had the suit cleaned then they would try and repair the large hole across the seat.I was however advised that the repair would only last for a few wears!!!!!

I was later infomed that wool suites are not for normal wear as the seat will wear very quickly..Whats the point in the suit ..????

I called head office and was promised that if I returned the suit then I would receive in vouchers the cost ..I returned to another store as arranged by head office to be informed that no arrangements had been made and that the suit would have to be sent away to a lab to be tested to confirm that it wasn't from normal wear and tear !!!!.

While I was still in the store I asked to speak to head office.I escalated the call to a man that rude and hostile.He informed me that he was head of customer service and that the suit would have to be sent away .I was livid .

A few days later I called head office as I had not been called as promised and asked to speak with a manager.....This lady was fantastic..the previous man was not head of customer service he was a senior Customer Service rep!!She was so apologetic and couldn't stress enough that she didn't want to loose me as a customer.
My vouchers arrived in the post a week later with an additional £25.00 as an apology!!!!!!

However I won't buy clothes from Marks and Spenser Again..it's not worth the upset that is caused when you complain

• offy published 23/02/2001
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. At least they came through in the end. I can't believe they said that their trousers aren't supposed to be worn much - what a cheek!
  • Paula_23_uk published 22/02/2001
    Like you I too had a problem with Marks and after much complaining and speaking to Head Office, they finally dealt with my complaint and sent me a voucher to compensate. However, like you also, it has put me off Marks completely and have not shopped there since.
  • Squidget published 01/02/2001
    I had the exact same problem, my mum bought me trousers from M&S I had not even worn them, labels were still attached but they had to be sent of for testing I could not believe this as they were not even damaged? When I got home I called head office and they were great and apologised and sent me the value of the trousers by cheque and also £50.00 vouchers for their store which I spent on food as that was the only thing I would buy at the time, they have since restored my faith.

Product Information : Marks & Spencer (Department Stores)

Listed on Ciao since: 14/09/2000