Marks & Spencer Vin De Pays Du Gers

Marks & Spencer Vin De Pays Du Gers

Region: France - Vin de Pays

Review of "Marks & Spencer Vin De Pays Du Gers"

published 26/05/2002 | vinodgm
Member since : 26/05/2001
Satisfactory
Pro Cheap
Cons Very harsh, has a acidity taste

"Absolutely Rubbish"

I have just returned home from a marathon drinking session/party at a friends house and boy am I pissed.

Please excuse me for any spelling mistakes or any suggestion of drifting away from my usual writing style. After all I am under the influence of alcohol.

As many of you may be aware my favourite drink is Bacardi & Coke and naturally that is what I was consuming in the majority for most of the night. Unfortunately for me especially the bloody Bacardi bottle was fully consumed and I must say that I was the main culprit, drinking at least two thirds of the bottle.

So there I was with the party still bubbling and in full swing and without my favourite drink. So using whatever senses I still had operating at that time I decided to go home (three houses down the road) and get my bottle of white wine that I had purchased from Marks & Spencers the day before.

The wine in question wss the Vin de Pays du Gers and the culprit for my purchasing this wine was none other than our "In-House Wine Connoisseur" Miss Blurbubble.

A bit about the wine before I start bubbling (intended mention) about the wine itselft.

Vin de Pays du Gers is basically the second most produced wine in France. 1,800,000 Hl of the wine is produced yearly and produced in an area referred to as the "Gers" in France.

Marks & Spencers, like other makers such as Tesco etc, have joined in the band wagon of having their names attached to economically viable and economically priced wines, by linking up with French companies that provide and produce the respective labels of wine.

Unforunately the wine in question is absolutely horrible. It was lucky that I was already "happy" after my lavish consumption of Bacardi & Coke otherwise the wordings that I would have used might have been extremely more critical.

This wine is basically a Table Wine that oozes the words "Economy". The taste is extremely harsh and reeks of acidity and is basically one of the worst wines that I have tasted. It may possibly be because I had consumed it after drinking other beverages but I doubt that this could have hampered my judgement since this wine doesn't even come close to something that I might consider enjoying.

It's available in the standard 75cl. bottles and has a darkish yellow appearance. It is claimed to be a bubbly wine that possesses character and zest. Unfortunately this is a total understatement in my view.

At £4.50 a bottle some may consider it a good bargain but I certainly do not. Look at the Blossoms Chardonnay, which goes at a similar price at Tesco and you will see the total opposite in all respects.

If your looking to purchase a White Wine please stay away from the Marks & Spencers Vin de Pays du Gers. I am absolutely sure you will thank me for this bit of advice.

PS. Blurbubble - Obviously our tastes are a bit different. Love to have a drinking session with you one day. Wouldn't that be fun - LOL

• mvwmail published 27/05/2002
    Its not too bad.. and its Veggie
  • jonwhite published 27/05/2002
    An annagram of Du Gers is of course U Dregs, which by the sound of it this stuff is. I'll make sure I avoid it. Thanks for the warning.lol. Jonwhite
  • mrsandrewsjk published 27/05/2002
    Maybe it would be better sprinkled on chips eh? Heather :(