Marks and Spencer Swiss Milk Extra Fine Chocolate

Marks and Spencer Swiss Milk Extra Fine Chocolate

Review of "Marks and Spencer Swiss Milk Extra Fine Chocolate"

published 13/01/2003 | jamez
Member since : 21/01/2002
Pro smooth, fine, good value
Cons Only at M&S, too good for kids

"Jamez in 'coming out' shocker"

I've decided that my chocolate consumption can no longer be hidden, and I must come out of the closet. Declaring:
"My name is James and I'm a chocoholic"
And without further ado I'll tell you about my current bar of choice.

Taste:
Silky smooth, melts easily but slowly, thick milky consistency, delicate flavouring, urges you not to chew, but to suck.
Lives up to its claims (see packaging)
Compared to Cadbury’s dairy milk it melts quicker, and is not quite as sweet, Cadbury’s dairy milk is literally rammed with sugar taste, whereas this is a much more chocolaty taste, with sugar undertones (eh you what?).

Cadbury’s dairy milk is a "bite me, eat me quick" chocolate, but this a more refined, more relaxed chocolate which contains more cocoa but doesn't need to be an "acquired taste".

Aroma:
Sweet, chocolate, milky, makes my mouth water. Smells more chocolaty but less sweet than Cadbury’s dairy milk.

Visual:
Pale chocolate brown a shade lighter than Cadbury’s dairy milk, generous size "squares" (20mm x 25mm) but thin (5-7mm deep), a simple hatching design on top.

Price:
99p for a bar 150g bar - current 3 for 2quid

Packaging:
Consists of a paper wrapper and foil inner.
Foil inner is not sealed - which I like because I can unfold it carefully.
Paper wrapper is sealed with 7 or so spots of glue along the middle.
Wrapper Design:
Shows a close up of the chocolate to probably 150% magnification, on top of this image is a simple rectangle in the background colour (brown slightly darker than the chocolate) with text stating the this is Marks and Spencer's Swiss milk extra fine chocolate, with Swiss in blue and a blue bar underneath.

On the bottom side (when wrapper is still on) it has all the details in fairly small print as the ingredients are repeated in French, Dutch, German and Spanish.

It also describes the bar:
"Our extra fine chocolate has been specially blended to give you a smooth velvety melt-in-the-mouth experience"
I wouldn't disagree.

The ingredients are refreshingly short:
Sugar, dried whole milk, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, hazelnuts, emulsifier: soya lecithin, flavouring.
It states that it contains 30% cocoa solids minimum, and milk solids 25% minimum. Which means that over half the bar has stuff you want in it! And the remaining 45% is sugar, nuts, emulsifier and flavouring.

It has a ‘contains’ box in slightly larger print stating that it contains Nuts, Cows Milk, and Soya. As well as a "Not suitable for NUT allergy sufferers".

The nutritional information is per 100g:
Energy 2300kj/550 kcal
Protein 8.7g
Carbs 50.2g, with 49.4g sugars
Fat 35.3g, with 19.9g saturates
Fibre 2.5g
Sodium 0.1g

I would say that this is not a chocolate for kids, who couldn't tell the difference - I'm sure they'd eat it, but they wouldn't appreciate the difference between this and Cadbury’s dairy milk which is more of a "candy" when put in comparison to this.

Please ignore criteria below: Soundtrack (I've yet to hear of a chocolate bar with a sound track of its own.) Special effects and humour - eh?

• jammy_banana published 03/10/2004
    If only there was a Marksies near me right now...and if only it was a bit cheaper....
  • happy_kitty published 11/09/2004