Marks and Spencer

Marks and Spencer

Review of "Marks and Spencer"

published 15/03/2001 | danieletheridge
Member since : 17/12/2000
Pro Very high quality, nice food
Cons A little expensive!
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range
Availability

"High quality and the rest is high too"

Marks And Spencer Foodhalls stock some extremely high quality and rare products. I do most of my weekly shopping at Waitrose but leave out a few things which I know I can get at much better quality at Marks. For example, chicken is very expensive in Waitrose, and pretty poor. But I can get some top class chicken at low low prices in M&S, so it's worth the trip.

Their ready meals are very good. They always get the right amount of food for me, and they are always very nice, look appetising and not that hard on the pocket, either.

Layout is one of the problems in the M&S clothing departments, but in the food hall, everything is well set out and looks great and well presented. The shops look nice although a bit old, but upgrades and refurbishments are happening throughout Marks & Spencer's branches, so that's good news.

The staff are always very helpful and happy to assist you. I was in my local M&S recently when I couldn't find an item. I asked a member of staff if they had any more of the product, expecting the usual 'If there's none on the shelf we don't have it, which I usually get at Waitrose. Instead, the lady magically whisked out her mobile 'phone, pressed a few buttons, and spoke to her colleague upstairs:
'Do we have any poppadums upstairs?'
'Yes we do,' came the reply.
'Put a pack in the lift and I'll get them when they get down. Cheers.'

So there we go, great service or what? I was reading another opinion earlier that said there are no express till. This problem has now been addressed and in most food halls an express till can be found.

Marks are also introducing 'Coffee bars' to some of their bigger stores. This is a great idea and the cakes and coffee and tea and other things they serve are really nice - because they're thier own.

One minor problem: You often go in to Marks and think.. Silly me, I should have come earlier - they've run out of bread. What you should think is: Silly Marks, they've sold out. But that's a problem they're addressing and now goods are nearly always in stock.

So for good service on great quality products, and don't mind paying that little bit extra for what's that little bit better, then Marks & Spencer is the place for you.

NOTE: Price resonable as you pay more for better goods.

• GoodShop published 20/03/2001
    Agreed. I am addicted to their Calamari and the gorgeous Tarte Citron.
  • Dizz published 17/03/2001
    I agree - M&S sell lovely food - though a bit dearer than other supermarkets, but I suppose this is the price you pay for high quality
  • Suzan published 15/03/2001
    I love M&S Foodhall...desserts to die for!Very helpful opinion,thanks. Suzan.

Product Information : Marks and Spencer