Review of "Marks and Spencer"

published 25/04/2011 | annie247
Member since : 25/04/2011
Pro Excellent quality clothing and food
Cons Pricey
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range
Availability

"In two words.... top quality"

Marks & Spencer Food

If i were a milionaire, i would buy virtually all of my food shopping in Marks and Spencer. I have never been disspointed with the sheer quality of their food produce. You won't find half rotten tomatoes in Marks and Sparks! (Unlike other supermarkets i could mention). Everything really is so fresh and amazing quality.

Of course for this freshness and quality you do usually have to pay quite a high price, though not always. It is the type of shop where i only occassionally will buy little treats as it is quite simply usually above my financial means. However, i was shopping in Borehamwood recently and was starving. Me and my partner just wanted a light snack for for the afternoon as we had missed lunch, so we both thought, why not pop into Marks and get a sandwich and a drink. To my amazement lots of things were reduced. This was obviously largely due to their shelf life and as it was coming towards the end of the day. I chose one of their 'count on us' lower calorie range of sandwiches; a Britsh ham salad and mustard dressing on oatmeal bread. Not only was it delicious; it was low fat (260kcal) and had been reduced to only £1.50. My partner bought what i thougth was a rather unusual flavour sandwich ; Brie, grape and cranberry on soft oatmeal bread. This too was reduced to only £1.50 but was very high in calories with 540 kcal in it. He said it was lovely so each to their own i guess!

Whilst we were looking around we also noticed some salads in the store. (We had originally planned on having fish for dinner tonight). They didnt have too much left but we spotted what looked really tasty; a layered prawn salad. There are small prawns in it with a prawn cocktail sauce with cucumber, small pasta shells, carrot, sweetcorn and lettuce. This was on a special offer at £1.50 per salad. In each pack there are 410 kcal. Yes, that is quite alot, but it its well worth those extra few calories and very filling. In saying that, this isnt that fattening for a meal (for those of you who are dieters). The prawns were fresh and plentiful, the salad fresh and the prawn cocktail sauce, superb. You could also have say half of it with a bread roll and save the other half for the next day as theres plenty of it. We also both bought Marks and Spencers still lemon and lime flavoured water (500ml bottles) at £0.85pence each. Thats a little pricey, but we had made savings from the rest of our food so I didnt mind paying that for a cool refreshing drink.

Marks and Spencers packaging with their food is also very good; it was really easy to open our sandwiches. The list of wonderful foods they do is far too long for one review! but i have often also bought some of their sweet puddings and chocolates/cakes and not once have i been disspointed.

I would certainly recommend everyone treats themselves to some Marks and Spencers food occassionally. Its also definately worth going in towards the end of the day to see what bargains can be had. Great food, great quality!

Marks & Spencer Clothing

Marks have sometimes received flack for their clothes and they seem to have periods of doing well and then doing not so well; but overall i like their clothes. The best thing for me about them is that in many cases I can actually find something that fits me! I am only 5ft 1 inches tall! and there are so few shops that will cater for shorter people. I have lost complete count of the amount of times i have had to take up jeans or trousers or even skirts due to the length of them (i usually have to take off about 5 inches!). It really is annoying and can sometimes ruin the clothes and the shape of the trouser/jean. I have to have the short length size and Marks and Spencers is perfect for me in this regard.

I think their lingerie and nightwear is amazing; with some really pretty things available in all shapes and sizes.

They also cater for varying tastes/ages. Admittedly i don't realy think teenagers are too impressed with Marks and Spencer clothing, but they have some beautiful things in their Per Una range, some lovely clothes in their usual range which are very comfortable and they also cater for older peoples tastes in clothing. Marks also does lovely babies/kids clothing.

I also love the Marks and Spencers adverts on the tv! I think they are great.

As with their food, their clothing can also be quite pricey; but you pay for what you get. Really good quality and sometimes some good bargains.

You can find Marks & Spencers stores in most towns and cities and sometimes they have just their separate food stores. I recommend everyone visiting their large store at the top end of Oxford Street near Marble Arch in London. Its huge!

I would have given Marks and Spencer 5 stars. The only reason i am awarding it 4 is due to the fact that their products can be very expensive meaning not everyone can afford to shop there.

• KarenUK published 27/04/2011
    I love M&S for their clothes but find their food overpriced.

offers "Marks and Spencer"

Product Information : Marks and Spencer