Marmite Very Peculiar Milk Chocolate

Marmite Very Peculiar Milk Chocolate

Review of "Marmite Very Peculiar Milk Chocolate"

published 16/01/2012 | darling89
Member since : 15/01/2012
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to read my reviews, I hope everyone finds them helpful :) I do my best to return rates, so if you think I've missed any just drop me a message and I'll make amends :) I'm a member of Dooyoo under the same username.
Pro Tastes good, lovely creamy texture, something different
Cons Expensive, people who don't like Marmite probably wouldn't like it
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Very Peculiar indeed; but peculiar in a good way"

Marmite: supposedly you love it or hate it. I, however, am one of those 'very peculiar' people who are indifferent to the taste of it. I don't dislike it and would eat it on toast or in a sandwich if somebody served it up to me, but at the same time I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it.

However, when I saw a bar of 'very peculiar' Marmite chocolate in Selfridges' food hall, I felt that I had to give it a try. I'm no chocolate snob and am perfectly happy with a Kitkat or a bar of Dairy Milk Fruit and Nut, so I was a little apprehensive about spending £2.99 on a 100g bar of chocolate that I probably wouldn't even like. Nonetheless, I figured I might give it a go.

The chocolate comes in a package in Marmite's signature colours of black and yellow. The packaging is emblazoned with the words 'very peculiar', which I felt was a very apt phrase for this product, both before and after tasting the chocolate itself. The outer packaging is made of thin card, and the chocolate is foil-wrapped within this, helping to keep the chocolate fresh.

When you unwrap the chocolate from its foil casing, there is a noticeably strong aroma emanating from it. If I hadn't known that marmite flavouring had been added to the chocolate I wouldn't have recognised it; but you can tell that the chocolate has been given a savoury twist. The bar itself is divided into easily-snappable thin squares, which in my opinion are an ideal size for those wanting to try out this 'very peculiar' chocolate.

And now the most important thing: the taste and texture of the chocolate. As I said, whilst I don't actively dislike Marmite, I'm not a huge fan of it. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of this chocolate. The overwhelming taste is of chocolate, but it has a nice subtle kick of recognisable Marmite flavour. I was slightly worried that it would leave me with the taste of Marmite in my mouth after eating the chocolate, but this wasn't the case. The chocolate has a lovely texture; it's incredibly creamy and really melts in your mouth. I prefer my chocolate melted so I melted a little bit of this chocolate to sample and enjoyed it more - melting it seems to make the Marmitey kick even more subtle and I really enjoyed eating it this way.

So overall, I was pretty impressed with this chocolate. However, now it's time for the million dollar question: would I buy it again? The answer is yes and no. At £2.99 for 100g, it's pretty pricey and I wouldn't buy it for myself for general eating as I know I could get my favourite types of chocolate (Cadburys etc) for a cheaper price. However, I'd definitely buy it again as a present, perhaps for somebody who likes to try exotic new foods, or for a die-hard Marmite fan.

Yes, this chocolate is indeed 'very peculiar'; but it's peculiar in a good way and I'd recommend giving it a try.

• ithoughtyoudneverask published 16/01/2012
    Gosh, I don't think this would be for me - I'm a hater!
  • Bollinger28 published 16/01/2012
    I don't think I'd fancy trying this myself, but my partner adores Marmite so I'd probably buy him a bar to try :o)
  • brittle1906 published 16/01/2012
    Sounds interesting! Like yourself I am neither a lover or loather of Marmite, but I do like some of the savoury chocolates on the market. Would like to try this one. Good review.