Marriott Hotel, Preston

Marriott Hotel, Preston

Review of "Marriott Hotel, Preston"

published 29/04/2005 | Tea65
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Very friendly & helpful staff, easy to get to, Nice hotel
Cons Take your own baby monitor

"The Preston Experience"

Back at the beginning of April my husband and I decided that we'd take our 10 month old son up to Preston, Lancashire to show him where his Mama originated from before defecting to the South :o) As it was my Mum's birthday at the same time, we thought it was as good enough excuse to head off 300+ miles in a Northernly direction.

~~~Finding The Details~~~

I found the details through the internet, even though we'd stayed at the Preston Marriott previously, we'd failed to keep hold of the phone number.

The details on the website were easy enough to follow. After putting in Preston on the hotel search engine, it quickly took me to a list of all the Preston hotels that they have, I found Preston United Kingdom at the bottom of the list and clicked on to it. After this I was taken to a page that contained a map and a list of other hotels, the one we required was listed at the top.

After clicking on the link I was redirected to the Preston Marriott hotel page, this contained details of the hotel's phone number, booking over the internet availability, room details and various other pieces of information.

As I prefer to book over the phone, I noted down the number and gave the hotel a call.

~~~Booking The Hotel~~~

This was the easy bit. I rang the hotel 6 weeks before we wanted to go and after going through the options on the phone I was eventually transferred to Reservations.

The lady on the other end of the line was very friendly. I explained to her when we wanted to visit and that we required a double en-suite with crib; after taking the details, she confirmed what I had said and took our credit card number to secure the room and then gave me a booking number.

I should add that we didn't pay for our son to stay, I presume this was because he was under a certain age.

~~~The Hotel~~~

The directions to the hotel are very clear on the website, the hotel is accessable from Junc. 32 of the M6 and there is a route finder should you still have problems finding the hotel.

Preston Marriott is a Victorian hotel situated in 11 acres of gardens and woodland and is set back from the main road so the traffic noise doesn't disturb the guests; the hotel has a sloping ramp to one side of the entrance for the disabled.

The car park is free with plenty of spaces for disabled and non disabled.

~~~Arrival and Accommodation~~~

We arrived at the hotel, checked in at Reception and was given directions to our room, seeing that we had a baby in tow they offered to take our luggage up to our room, but as it was we could manage so didn't need the help.

Our son needed a nap once we got to the hotel, so we fed him and settled him down; the hotel doesn't do a baby listening service so we needed to take our baby monitor.

I know a lot of people would be horrified that we left our son asleep in a hotel room while we disappeared down to the bar area but the security in the hotel is excellent, the hotel room cannot be opened from the outside without a pass key and staff are constantly walking about so there's no fear that anything would have happened.

Our son is not at the age where he can climb out of his cot, so there was no danger of him hurting himself and as the only time he was in the room was either when we were there or when he was asleep there was no difference to him being at home.

The room itself was very pleasant, it consisted of a double bed, chair, television, cable/satellite television, pay per view movies, hairdryer, safe, mini-bar,alarm clock, iron and ironing board, trouser press and tea/coffee making facilities.

The bathroom was decked out in white with the customary free samples and fresh towels were left every day.

~~~Bar Area~~~

The bar area is nicely set out with comfort in mind. There's settees, chairs and a television, the staff will come and take your order or if you've ordered at the bar they will happily bring your drinks over to your table.

I feel that I should warn you here that the food and drinks can be expensive. We chose to have a bar snack each one evening that came to a total of £15, we had two glasses of wine with it that came to a total of £9, however despite the expense the food was of an excellent standard.

~~~Breakfast~~~

We chose to go down for breakfast every morning, mainly so that our son could have something, when you arrive at the door to the restaurant you have to wait to be seated, the wait is less than a minute, when the staff comes over they ask for your room number. The staff prompty got us a high chair and set it up so that we were able to feed our son.

There is any means of food that you could imagine. They have a self serve system, at the end of the room in the restaurant area there is everything that you could possibly want for a full english breakfast, in the centre you will find fruit, fruit juice, museli, boxes of cereal, fruit salad and milk. To the corner of one room you will find pastries, croissants and bread complete with toaster.

Breakfast was included with the price of our room.

~~~Check Out~~~

Checking out was simple enough, we could either pay by express checkout or pay at Reception. We chose to pay at reception as this was easier and we weren't in a rush to leave.

The man on Reception handed my husband the bill and asked for him to check it and waited patiently until he was ready. The man on Reception then asked if we were going to use the same card that the room had been secured on or if we were going to use a different card to pay, as it was we used a different card.

Once the check out was complete we were thanked for our stay and they hoped that we enjoyed ourselves.

~~~Other Information~~~

When we arrived on the Friday, there was two coaches parked up near the entrance that belonged to Watford Football Club, it appears that they were stopping over as they were playing Chorley (I think) the following day. The team were on their best behaviour throughout and were very pleasant.

On the Saturday there was a Wedding Reception taking place. The Reception was held in one of the banquet rooms, despite our room being on the level above there was no noise from the Wedding party to interupt our evening.

The hotel has a conference room so you are able to hold meetings should you require it.

There is a wireless internet link available. We used this on our last evening at the hotel; you can either pay for the week or take a days free trial, which we chose. Connection can be a bit tricky and the signal isn't always strong, but that could be the area that we were sitting in.

~~~Overall View~~~

My honest opinion is that this hotel lives on it's reputation to provide good service and maintain a friendly atmosphere. In both times that we have stayed at this hotel, we have found that the staff are courteous and friendly and would bend over backwards to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

• thespurs published 17/05/2005
    Nice review. I have never stayed in a Marriot before, but have attended a function at the one in Bournemouth. They are pretty lovely, inside and out, the staff seem pretty helpful too
  • james564 published 11/05/2005
    I think the Marriott in Canary Wharf looks really nice! Great review. James x
  • n13roy published 11/05/2005
    Really well written and informative review there, plenty of interesting detalis too. I 've stayed in a few and found them pleasant enough......Roy