Marshall MS 2

Marshall MS 2

Combo

Review of "Marshall MS 2"

published 08/08/2009 | bongonation
Member since : 08/08/2009
Good
Pro great classic marshal stack looks tiny package
Cons sound quality is not that great
Sound Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Look & Feel
Ease of Use
Instruction Manual

"The marshall micro stack, its like a amp that fits in your hand"

Well the marshall ms 2, possibly one of the the worlds smallest and best looking "stack'a'likes". This tiny 2 channel beast could not be any simple to use, it runs off a 9 volt battery for absolutely ages (I havent replaced mine in about 2 years!), has one input jack, one headphone jack, a volume, tone and an ON/OFF/OD and a handy little belt clip so you can rock as you walk ALL the way around your bedroom!
For those of you expecting to sound like a rock god from this amp you probably shouldn't buy this as the sound quality is not great on its own, The clean channel is very twangy and distorts quite a bit, if you do want a better clean sound out off this it is a good idea to lower your guitars volume so that you do not drive it as hard. The overdrive channel is actually quite nice if you want a more vintage sound like Toni Iommi or Jimmy Page. Both the volume and tone work with both channel, but again don't expect it to be mega loud, I used to use mine for very quiet bedroom practise along with my laptop. One piece of advise I can give when using this I used to have a fairly good amp simulator that I used to run into this using its clean channel and then it did sound half decent, so im guessing maybe a distortion pedal would help if you have one from your propper rig to give it a better sound.
As far as durability goes mine has been pretty much indestructable, its fallen off my bed and been tossed up the corner of my room many times. Mine is possibly close to ten years old now as it was given to me by my dad not long after I started playing the guitar and i could pull it off the shelf now and it would be fine.
All in all this is not a serious amp but more of an aesthetics thing really, but even if bought for a present for a much more experienced guitar player it is a great little ornament for a music room.