Marvelon Contraceptive Pill

Marvelon Contraceptive Pill

Female Contraception - Contraceptive Pills

Review of "Marvelon Contraceptive Pill"

published 11/05/2003 | clairmelville
Member since : 27/10/2002
Pro Prevents pregnancy, can help lower lipid levels.
Cons Not good for smokers
Side effects
Strength

"A pill a day keeps a baby at bay."

Marvelon is a contraceptive for use as regular contraceptive. It contains both synthetic progesterone an synthetic oestrogen. These hormones act on the female genital tract and certain areas in the brain to prevent the release of an ovum (egg) from the ovaries, hence preventing pregnancy. MArvelon is different from the emmergency contraceptive Levonorgestrel (the morning after pill - Levonelle) in that it contains a much smaller amount of hormone. The morning after pill is taken in two doses after sex. Marvelon is designed to be taken at the same time each day for 21 days followed by a seven day pill free break, during which time, a withdrawel bleed occurs.
Recent evidence has shown that there is no harm in taking up to three packets of marvelon in a row without a break between each packet. This would give 63 days between each period, a godsend for me.

I started taking marvelon over five years ago and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I have had a regular partner for about the same time and have not been pregnant at all in that time. I also found that the reduced period frequency was brilliant, especially during stressfull times in my life or for hollidays. I sctually found that my periods were lighter and I no longer had any period pains or backache which I had suffered from before.

There are some side effects known to be associated with Marvelon (none of which I have experienced). Women who smoke are at a higher risk of developing deep vein thrombosis at times when the risk is already hightened, for example when taking long haul flights or when pregnant. Some women may want to take steps to prevent this, such as taking a daily aspirin tablet. There is also a slghtly increased risk of breast cancer.

I felt that the advantages of taking marvelon far outweighed the risks. I would recomend that people should consider marvelon and ask their doctor as to whether it would be appropriate for them.

• blue-star published 12/05/2003
    I was put on this when I was 16. When they had all the pill scares my doctor took me off it as this was one of the ones mentioned. I didn't think it was still around. I must say though when I was on it it was great. Take care xx
  • buster_uk published 11/05/2003
    SOunds like an effective tab, a well researched op, never knew anything about those tabs giving you DVT. A good read. Jimmy:)