Marvelon Contraceptive Pill

Marvelon Contraceptive Pill

Female Contraception - Contraceptive Pills

Review of "Marvelon Contraceptive Pill"

published 28/10/2004 | Vikkila
Member since : 09/03/2004
Pro Low-dose, so good for anyone with bad circulation, etc.
Cons Increase in body hair (!), non-stop periods
Side effects
Strength

"My experience with Marvelon"

Marvelon is the 4th pill I've tried, and the one I'm on at the moment, but I need to change because it's really not suitable for me at all.

Marvelon is one of the lower-dose pills, so its effects were sort of 'diluted' in a way.
I experienced no weight gain, no increase in breast size, no water retention, etc, and the condition of my skin hasn't changed. The only side-effect I can really say I had is that I was/am a bit more emotional than when I'm not on it.

When I first started taking this pill, it seemed to work fine. Then when I went to the Family Planning Clinic, they said it'd be best to do a pregnancy test, just in case. They told me it was too early to get a result, but I'd been taking the pill properly and so didn't think I could be pregnant. I thought nothing of it and carried on taking the pills as normal until a week or so later when I woke up at 3 in the morning to feel something warm on my leg. It turned out I'd miscarried, so obviously I'd gotten pregnant on it despite being pretty religious about taking it on time, etc., never missing one. I put it down to the low dose of hormones in it, as the others I've been on worked well enough.

After that, I took the pills back-to-back because of the inconvenience of a period while on holiday, planning things with boyfriend, etc., but after a while started to get periods anyway. Well, I say periods, I mean, one long period that didn't stop until I was silly and got fed up and started taking 2 a day (not recommended as it can cause problems with circulation, etc. later on), but I just got annoyed with having a never-ending period as they're hardly anyone's favourite thing are they !
I've been on it about 3 months now, and more recently (about a couple of weeks ago), I noticed my body hair (belly, legs, upper lip, eyebrows, etc.), growing much faster than it normally does. Being dark-haired, I'd normally use hair removal cream on my upper lip every 3 weeks or so, and pluck my eyebrows about once a week or sometimes every fortnight if I was being lazy.
Now I'm having to use the cream at least once a week if I want a hair-free top lip and have to pluck my eyebrows every day or 2, and it's awful.

Overall, I haven't had a whole lot of success with Marvelon, but I would recommend it if...
- You have bad circulation as it has less chance of worsening it and you developing blood clots than most other pills.
- You don't want any weight gain from the pill and/or have had trouble with water retention with other brands.
- You have a history, or family history, of blood clots, certain types of cancer, etc.
- You are a smoker.

• overton1977 published 20/09/2005
    Thank you for a very honest review on this medication. I was on Marvelon for the past four years and during this time experienced many of the side affects you mentioned. Good luck :-)
  • aznchick published 28/10/2004
    Side effects dont sound very nice! : )
  • carly_pussycat published 28/10/2004
    Oh my god you've not had much luck with pills!