Masters of Sex Season 1 (DVD)

Masters of Sex Season 1 (DVD)

Review of "Masters of Sex Season 1 (DVD)"

published 28/10/2016 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
I'm Back after over a month of not having a laptop
Pro factual, interesting, short series
Cons characters hard to relate to
Did you enjoy it?

Masters Of Sex
Price: £6.93
Certificate: 15
Released: 2013

As the evening become colder I turn to my TV and my duvet to get me through the winter evenings. My friend had a clear out of her DVDs and gave me a box which included a g=few box sets one of which was Masters of Sex. With only 12 episodes I thought this was going to be a quick watch.

Dr Masters, Is really interested in sex and starts off the series in a brothel looking through a hole in the wardrobe timing how long a man and women orgasm and is surprised to learn that women fake it often. Dr Masters then realises that he needs a female partner to help him with the experiments and to answer those questions he doesn't know the answers to. Dr Masters interviews a few people but Virginia Johnson stands out and even though she is not qualified she joins Dr Masters in the experiment and helps a lot.
Dr Masters has been trying to move the experiment to the hospital and finally gets permission for his scientific experiment to take place in the hospital so has a few female volunteers, which he equips with a dildo that he has personally put together that has a camera meaning he can watch from the inside what happens to a woman's body when she has an orgasm he also attaches them to an ECG Machine to monitor. Things don't go so well for Dr. Masters when he progresses with his experiment and gets male and female volunteers to have sex with one another so he can monitor them both at the same time. The male doctor is a fellow doctor who likes to cheat on his girlfriend. When the experiment gets kicked out of the hospital Dr Masters takes it to a brothel and just focuses on women and in return he will offer them all free medical care. The experiment moves back to the hospital and he continues to explore how long it takes for a man or woman to orgasm and the different phases the body goes through only one problem, one of the females gets pregnant.
When Dr. Masters mother moves into his neighborhood things become a little tricky for him, they don't have a great relationship and he starts to sleep walk and act differently. Virginia starts night school at the hospital to try and get a degree, which she has wanted for many years and feels that with a degree she will be taken more seriously.

I didn't know what to expect when I picked up the box set, but I was intrigued. Masters of sex is a really interested TV series, I've learnt so much about the medical side of sex and what happens to the body. The stories behind all the characters are really good as well, I especially like following Ethan as he goes through all the ups and downs of his life and relationships.

Episodes
9. Involuntary
10. Fallout
11.Phallic Victories
12. Manhigh

Each episode is 55 minutes which is 10 minutes longer than most other box sets I've watched, It shouldn't make a huge difference, but I felt the episodes were too long. It's taken me so long to watch this box set because I just couldn't get into it. Each episode was really interesting and full of a lot of facts, figures and drama but there was something missing that would keep me gripped to my seat.

Casting
Michael Sheen as Dr. William Masters
Doctor who focuses so much on his study that he pushes everything else aside. He specialises in pregnancies and trying to help couples to conceive, with different methods.

Lizzy Caplan as Virginia Johnson
Has two children, no qualifications but still manages to have a position in the hospital. She is interested in casual relationship but nothing serious. Her world is turned upside down when her children's dad turns up.

Caitlin FitzGerald as Libby Masters
Dr William Masters wife, who thinks she is baron but it's actually her husband who has a very low sperm count but she does get pregnant to his shock. Libby is a very likable character but very quiet.

Nicholas D'Agosto as Dr. Ethan Haas
Ethan has a huge crush on Virginia, they dated and slept together a few times but she wasn't interested in anything serious. Ethan dates a few people in the hospital but can't get Virginia out of his head.

I quite enjoyed this box set it's not like the usual TV shows I watch with monsters and supernatural beings but it opened my eyes. I didn't get hooked to this series but I did really enjoy it. The thing which I think the series is missing is suspense, there's nothing that makes you want more, to see what happens. It's quite a slow series, which drags at times. The season takes place between 1956 and 1958 which is really interesting, to see how different hospitals were back then and how things have developed. I would recommend this box set, it's enjoyable, factual and full of drama.

• mikemelmak published 31/10/2016
    Wasn't there a movie also? I'm also surprised this became a tv series.
  • Pointress published 31/10/2016
    vh
  • euphie published 31/10/2016
    vh :o)

offers "Masters of Sex Season 1 (DVD)"