Review of "Matey Bubble Bath"

published 04/12/2003 | wardenblw431
Member since : 07/10/2002
I am back at last, been a long time coming, I know, but things have settled now we have moved and I have some time to devote to this site.
Pro Gentle on young skin, cheaper than other novelty bubblebaths
Cons hard to get the complete range

"BATHTIME BUDDIES"

I have bought all my large Christmas presents and have made a start on all the little stocking fillers. As both my kids love splashing about in the bath I decided to buy a couple of novelty bubble baths for them. Browsing around my local supermarket I spied a range of bath goodies for kiddies and I was surprised at how costly they can be. A famous children’s television programme have their own range out and they cost over £4 a bottle. Then out of the corner of my eye I spied a bubble bath I used to use as a child; Matey.

Matey bath products have been gracing our shop shelves since 1958 and today still remain popular amongst children. I remember getting a matey bubble bath every Christmas as a stocking filler from my parents. Priced at just £1.68 for 500ml, I thought this was a good buy.

There are 4 different bubble baths to choose from; Sailor, Mer-Matey, Lucky the Pirate Parrot and Doc-topus. Each character has its own bottle design which appeals to young children. The colours are bright and eye-catching and after use the bottles make great toys to play with.

Sailor, Captain of HMS Matey is a jolly looking sailor. He is dressed in his blue sailor’s uniform and the lid cleverly acts as his hat. The bubble bath itself is a pale blue colour and it has a fresh, marine scent, kind of like a light aftershave.

Mer-Matey, the golden haired Mermaid is perfect for any little girl into girly pink, things. Again her bright pink hat is the lid of the bottle. The liquid is pink in colour and has a really nice, floral scent.

Lucky the Pirate Parrot is suitable for both girls and boys so there is no need to fight over who’s going to use their bubble bath each bath-time. Lucky is a bright yellow and green parrot and he wears a patch over one eye. The yellow lid of the bottle acts as the feathers on his head. The bubble bath is green and has a really delicious fruity aroma.

Last, but not least there is Doc-topus. Again, this bubble bath is unisex. What sets this bubble bath from the rest is that it changes colour once it’s added to water. Great fun for the kids. It has a lovely fruity smell too.

As well as this range of bubble baths, Matey do bring out limited editions at certain times of the year for example I received a Santa Claus for Christmas a while ago. Look carefully though as they are not easy to source.

In addition to the bubble baths, there are other products available to keep your little mucky ones clean; Dolphin Shampoo, which is a mild shampoo with a no-tangle formula. This is great for my daughter as she has wavy hair and keeping her hair tangle-free can be a pain at times, literally.

There is also the Squirty Starfish Funwash, which can be used for washing in the bath or shower. This is soap-free which means it is gentle on young skin, but tough on dirt too.

And finally, there is the Diver Hand wash which is an antibacterial hand wash ideal for keeping the germs at bay. These are readily available in some supermarkets and these make great stocking fillers too.

All Matey products have been dermatologically tested with children in mind so they are suitable for particularly sensitive skin. With the addition of new moisturisers from seaweed extracts these bubble baths will leave your children’s skin feeling super-soft and ultra clean at the same time.

To use Matey you simply take off the character’s hat and pour some bubble bath into it. Two to four pours is plenty to give you a really bubbly bath. The good thing about Matey is that it doesn’t sting your eyes if you get any bubbles in them. If I had a pound for every time Gemma has splashed her younger brother and made him laugh I wouldn’t have to spend so long on here trying to make a few pennies.;p

For any more information there is a website you can visit. Here you can see the most popular products in the range as well as play games till your heart’s content. Log onto www.matey.co.uk, but remember to let your kids have a turn.

• tekin21 published 24/05/2005
    Remember this from when I was a kid – nice review. Jane
  • kcjack published 08/12/2003
    I cant believe they still making thisi had it when i was a kid, Julia
  • tom1clare published 07/12/2003
    I also used to get these as stocking fillers from my parents - I remember getting the Sailor one when I was eight or nine I think... :) tom