Matina Tigerino Crystals Silicate Litter

Matina Tigerino Crystals Silicate Litter

Review of "Matina Tigerino Crystals Silicate Litter"

published 27/04/2012 | wigglylittleworm
Member since : 28/08/2008
Pro brilliant at dealing with smells
Cons need to keep topping tray up
Effectiveness
Level of Absorbency

"The almost perfect cat litter"

As a cat owner I have yet to find the perfect litter to use and I have tried most of the brands on the market. I remember reading some rave reviews about Tigerino which is only available online so decided to take advantage of the offer on Zooplus to buy 2 14Kg bags for £18.80 making the cost 67p per Kg which is pretty low as far as cat litter goes.

The bags are huge and very heavy, I don't normally mention the packaging in reviews but these sacks were made of extremely thick plastic with no obvious place to open the bag. When I tried to tear the first bag open it was really hard work and the bag ended up tearing and spilling the litter over the floor so I had to tape it up. By the time it came to opening the second bag I was a bit wiser and used scissors but there was no way of resealing the bag. The bags of litter are pretty heavy and when first opened were too heavy for me to lift up to pour the litter so needed to scoop it out but luckily the bags are tall and slim so they fitted into the space next to the litter tray.

The litter itself is very fine and a mid brown in colour. The cats took to it no problem and were happy to use it. I fill the tray pretty deeply and they had plenty of room to scratch around and bury their poos. This is a clumping litter which means that the pee and poo is disguised inside huge clumps of litter, finding the clumps when the litter is brown is not always easy meaning I need to dig around with the scoop to find them which is not the nicest task in the world. The litter copes brilliantly with both pee and poo smells, I can go a week or more without changing the tray as long as I scoop everyday which is amazing in a two cat household.

There are a couple of downsides to this litter, the first is that the small grains get stuck in the cats paws meaning there is quite a lot of litter tracked over the house. The second is that you lose a lot of litter when it goes into clumps and need to keep topping up the tray when you scoop.

This is a good litter and will go on my list of litters I will be happy to use again, it's not perfect but the fact it is economical and brilliant at disguising smells gives it 5 stars from me.

• Renza published 30/04/2012
    I'm glad Sammy does his business outside most of the time so we can get away with the Tesco Value stuff :-P