Matsui VX1108

Matsui VX1108

Video Recorder - VHS - Mono - 2 heads - with Show View

Review of "Matsui VX1108"

published 27/01/2005 | MatthewPickard
Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

" Great VCR"

A year later and another Christmas, after getting a TV last year (see previous review) I decided I wanted a VCR to accompany it. We are a very TV / video orientated family, as there are five of us it is very rare we all watch what we want to watch when it is on. We record programs most nights and often have a stack of 15 videos or so in the corner of the room waiting to be watched! There are often arguments as only one thing can be watched and two things recorded (you can only record what you are watchign downstairs), a fourth program causes many a argument!

Therefore I decided me getting a VCR would solve this scenario and would also enable me to watch videos in bed (i'm lazy like that!).

After opening the box I again (as with the TV) saw the unknown make, (Matsui (it was unknown to me anyway)). Still with the last unknown make being a success my hopes were high.

I went upstairs to set it up and it literally took a matter of minutes, the instructions were really easy to follow, plug a few wires into the Tv and the VCR linking them together, once this was done I had to program the channels into it, this was also very easy, the instructions were a doddle to follow , menu, setup, search and then save the correct channel. 10 minutes later it was all complete, I'm no whizz at these sorts of things but it really was easy.

Now for the big test, playing a video! It passed with flying colours, it did exactly what it should do, a no-frills VCR, put the tape in, press play, watch! To record tape in and record, you know you've done well when the whole family can use it!

The remote is also very good, one extra feature previous ones haven't are that it enables you to eject the tape from where you are sitting (shame you still have to go pick up the video!), the buttons are very easy to press. It is also strong, it is rare a remote control lasts in our house, this one however has done.

A couple of features of the VCR are that it enables you to select long play, doubling the length of the tape with no noticable effect in quality. Another is that it an auto head cleaner.

The price when I got it I am informed was about £80, I think it is now available for around £55, it was good value when I got it and also looks good value now.

We have been so impressed with my VCR that when the downstairs VCR broke we got the same one as I have.

One small annoying thing is that the rewinding of a tape is quite slow, it starts of fast but as it gets closer to the end of the tape it gets quite slow. Fast forwarding is no problem at all.

When on standby the VCR displays a clock, a handy thing for it to do.

The only fault that the VCR has is that if you want to select the channel you want to record on by pressing the up down buttons on the VCR it skips channel 1 out as though it isn't there, this problem is easily solved by selecting the 1 on the remote, slightly annoying however, I tried re-programming in the channels and it worked again for a while but it again went to missing out the 1.

That problem aside this VCR has been excellent (touch wood!) if your looking for a decent, cheap VCR then this is for you!

• Andy0304 published 29/01/2005
    Great review, looks like a good product. Andy
  • purplelynne published 27/01/2005
    We have a Matsui TV and it's great. Lynne x
  • geodev4 published 27/01/2005
    People forget about VCRs with dvds around today. Good chunky things cant see them surviving for much longer. Good review of what sounds a good product. George