Mattel Scrabble Original

Mattel Scrabble Original

Review of "Mattel Scrabble Original"

published 20/01/2012 | chugglebunny
Member since : 18/10/2007
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for any rates. Sorry I don't have time to thank you all individually but they are all appreciated. x
Pro Eay to Play, Expands Vocab
Cons Hard to Master
Playability & Enjoyment
Design & Presentation

"Qi and Xu...Remember them....Trust me!"

Scrabble is one of those games that most families are familiar with. It’s a nice fun bring the family together type game that is actually very good for your vocabulary and spelling also (2 things I’ve never been great at myself).

The game comes boxed in a traditional styled green box with the game bored. This is a square with lots of spaces for the letter tiles you also get to be placed. The object of the game is to draw 7 letter tiles and using the little stands provided, work out what words you can make, these are then placed on the board and you receive a score. This score can be lifted by using the bonus squares such as the "Double Letter" or "Triple Word". This increases your score. All words must join much like a crossword, so you can use other players’ letters to help place longer words and get a higher score. When all the letters are used its game over and highest score wins.
My Opinion

What I love about scrabble is the fact it's one for those games you can pick up and play and it never changes. It's predictable and the fun is always the same. Whether playing with parents, children or friends. It's interesting to see what words others come up with and it really helps to expand your vocab. The board and tiles are easy to put away which is always useful when making room on the table etc as they all slot nicely into the box. I like the colouring of the board as it always reminds me of playing in my childhood. There are many different versions now of scrabble but I always find myself back to the original.

I enjoy the competition of the game. It's very satisfying having your opponent place a very impressive word and being pleased with themselves, then you pop and "s" on the end on a triple word score and jump ahead points wise. I also enjoy the friendliness of the game, as it gets towards the end me and my friends who I often play with usually help each other to get rid of those last few tiles. It is nice seeing things from their point of view and seeing the way in which their brains work and the words they suggest.

In my opinion scrabble really is one of the best games for family or friends. It's simple to grasp but very hard to master. It gives you a real sense of achievement when you can place a good word. It's a game that is fun as well as challenging but the rewarding feeling from playing far out ways any competition, so whether win or lose, it is fun for all the family. I would recommend scrabble to anyone of any age.

Obviously you can adapt the game and rules to allow for younger people to play. It's a great game for children as it really does help them to spell words and learn to see words from scrambled letters.

5 Stars

• AnneLorraine1 published 20/01/2012
    well reviewed
  • catsholiday published 20/01/2012
    I enjoy Scrabble too.

Product Information : Mattel Scrabble Original

Did you know Scrabble was invented in 1931 by an unemployed architect named Alfred Butts? It was quietly played by just the inventor and his friends until 1948 when it began to be manufactured and sold. Scrabble is the world's bestselling word game and once people start playing this famous word game they are usually captivated for life. Each player must make the best use of 7 letter tiles drawn at random, taking turns to form words crossword-style across the playing board. Scores are given for letter values and are boosted by premium squares on the grid. The highest score at the end wins. This is a great opportunity to update and treat yourself to a brand new Scrabble. Box Contents1 x Scrabble board 100 x letter tiles, 98 with letters and 2 blanks 4 x tile racks 1 x letter shuffling bag 1 x instruction booklet

Type: Board Game