Max Factor Masterpiece MAX Mascara

Max Factor Masterpiece MAX Mascara

Review of "Max Factor Masterpiece MAX Mascara"

published 26/01/2012 | chugglebunny
Member since : 18/10/2007
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for any rates. Sorry I don't have time to thank you all individually but they are all appreciated. x
Pro Easy to apply, good results, good coverage, decent price
Cons Not "amazing" but decent enough
Ease of Application
Waterproof?
Does it irritate your eyes?

"Sculpting Another Masterpiece..."

I seem to always be on a mission when it comes to mascaras. I have a list as long as my arm of brands and types to try. I'm lucky to naturally have reasonably long lashes but they are also as pale as anything, so a good mascara has always been very important to me to utilise my long lashes and also give them some colour.

On a trip to Asda a couple of months ago, I walked past the makeup counter, and like an addict to a drug, I couldn't resist the urge of buying yet another mascara when I know full well I have a few favourite brands that would be hard to beat, but I can't help think "but this one could be even better!" so I browsed and settled on the Max Factor Masterpiece MAX in black. I did not see the mascara in any other colours but the day I bought it the counter was quite empty, a quick search online and I can see it comes in blue and brown also. I tend to opt for black over any other colours for maximum effect, I think it is my way of compensating for the naturally blonde lashes I have.

The mascara set me back £10 which is a reasonable price for a Max Factor product. Their cosmetics are usually of a pretty high standard and I trust them a little more than some of the cheaper brands. The mascara itself came with just a small sliver of plastic wrap around it to hold the security tag on it (I suppose mascara would be an easy option to steal for anyone with sticky fingers). The tube is a nice gloss black with gold detailing, with a band around the top, a little gold slice on the lid and the writing stating it is a "High volume and Definition Mascara" is also in gold along the length of the tube. Overall the mascara looks quite sophisticated and the bulky tube makes it look sturdy and like it could do the job. So I took it home to find out.

Once I’d got through the impenetrable plastic and removed the security tag, I opened the mascara, screwing off the lid and will admit to being a little underwhelmed by the brush. I'm not usually one to judge a book by its cover or in this case, a mascara by its brush, but I did realise I was expecting either a very large and fluffy brush, or a very industrial hard comb headed brush. Due to having high hopes for this mascara based on price and brand and my previous favourites have had these features, I was a little surprised the Masterpiece Max brush is somewhere in between. It is a bristle headed wand that collects a large amount of mascara on it, but is smaller than I was expecting. With its claims of high volume and definition, I was expecting something different. But then the shape and size of the brush doesn't necessarily mean the results won't be good.

Application is obviously the most important part of mascara, if it goes on rubbish and leaves you looking like a drunken pirate, then it doesn't matter what it cost or how it looks, it will be a useless mascara. Max Factor Masterpiece Max, is not a bad mascara at all, in fact I'd actually go as far as saying it is in my top 5. It is a very good mascara. Application is very easy and the smaller brush actually makes getting to the edges of your lashes quiet simple. The brush isn't the cleanest I’ve seen and sometimes is a little overloaded which could lead to clumping if not noticed, but a quick wipe on the side of the tube with the brush or with a tissue stops this transferring to your lashes and the results it produces are more than satisfactory. Some mascaras just give colour to your lashes but don't do much else for them, some leave you with the dreaded "spider lash" look from trying to be dramatic but really just pile too much on your lashes. This mascara is a happy and decent medium. My lashes have a very good colour coverage that is even and very dramatic and they are definitely volumised and defined. From root to tip the brush glides well and leaves a pretty even effect. I can pop on another coat and work the lashes with the brush to get an even better effect if desired for going out in an evening for example, or leave it at the one coat for heading to the office.

Don't get me wrong, while I very much like this mascara, there are better out there for me personally. I think it depends a lot on your lash type and preferred look, but for those who like a very dramatic effect, there are better, but that isn't to say Masterpiece Max isn't a very good alternative. The price is definitely reasonable for the product and brand, it is a good mascara and does give good results, I think I have maybe just been a little spoilt when I know how amazing my lashes can look with a few other mascaras.

I would happily buy it again (although my addiction to trying new mascaras would never let this be possible) and I would happily recommend it to anyone looking for a very decent mascara that does a top quality job.

4 Stars. Thanks for reading :)

• StewwyB published 07/12/2014
    well reviewed
  • StazKilly published 29/05/2012
    ive used this, really like it, i find it hard to find a decent mascara x
  • kiss_me2070 published 02/02/2012
    Great review, x

offers "Max Factor Masterpiece MAX Mascara"