Max Factor Max Effect Gloss Cube Hot Aubergine

Max Factor Max Effect Gloss Cube Hot Aubergine

Lip Make-up - Lip Gloss

Review of "Max Factor Max Effect Gloss Cube Hot Aubergine"

published 26/09/2017 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Thank you everyone for all your reads and rates over the years and thanks Ciao for letting me be part of the community. Hope to see some of you on other sites, perhaps. xx
Pro Nice consistency; good shade.
Cons Small tube.
Absorbency
Price
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"A Little Lip Gloss From Max Factor!"

I love to use lip glosses and I have a large collection from a lot of different brands. When I was shopping in my local discount store a couple of weeks ago I saw they had these Max Factor Max Effect Gloss Cube lip balms. They had them in many different shades and I couldn't resist buying a few as I enjoy being able to have a choice of shades to change my make-up look.

About The Brand

Max Factor is a well known and popular brand of make-up. They are among the more expensive of the 'high street' brands although their products remain affordable and are good value for money.

The brand offer a huge range of innovative items including foundations, face powders, lipsticks, mascaras, nail varnishes and much more.

The Claims

The brand state this gloss has an "advanced moisture retention and conditioning formula" that offers a "high gloss, high shine finish". They describe the formula as "non sticky" and promise that it will provide a "high shine".
Ingredients

Dimethicone, Polyisobutene, Mica, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Copernicia Cerifera Cera, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tin Oxide, Linalool, Geraniol, [+/- CI 15850, CI 19140, CI 77891, CI 77491, CI 77499, CI 77492, CI 42090, CI 45380, CI 75470].

Packaging

These glosses come in a small rectangular plastic tube. The tube is transparent so you can see the colour of the gloss through the material. This is obviously very helpful if you have multiple shades as you can select your colour from your make-up kit very quickly and easily.

I personally feel these glosses are rather small in size. They are almost what I'd describe as a "mini" gloss and contain only 4.5ml of product. My opinion might be affected by the fact that I have many other glosses at home which are much larger in size. These are no bigger than my index finger and are lightweight and their size means they are easily concealed in a pocket or inside a handbag.

The Applicator

The wand is quite short in length but this means I have a lot of control when I'm applying the gloss to my lips. The brush is a soft tip applicator which absorbs a good amount of gloss. I do find that when the wand goes into the tube it is not very easy to pick up the gloss from the corners of the rectangular tube. I think that as the gloss starts to run out it will become even more difficult to reach the gloss with the wand.

The sponge tip feels incredibly soft and comfortable to smooth across the lips. The small tip allows me to aim well and to reach comfortably into the arches of my lips and into the thinner edges. However, the petite size of this does make me feel like I'm using a gloss aimed at children or teens. It almost looks a little odd and I've caught myself feeling a little bit embarrassed if I am out and about and I pause to apply this gloss!

The Shade

The 'Hot Aubergine' shade is a rustic pink shade with a silvery shimmer. It is a fairly neutral shade when applied to the lips and can be used for day time occasions as well as for night events. I think this shade would suit women with any hair colour. I am a brunette and it makes my lips stand out but it doesn't look overbearing and it doesn't necessarily make my lips the focal point of my make-up look. I am able to use stronger shades on my cheeks and eyes if I want to because this gloss shade is quite subtle.
How Does It Feel?

I'm always surprised by how different some glosses can feel on the lips. I personally prefer glosses that are not sticky and which don't feel heavy. Thankfully this gloss doesn't glue my lips together and I can talk and press my lips together without the gloss posing a problem. I can achieve a nice thick sheen with the gloss but it also doesn't feel heavy and I'm not conscious that it is on my lips when I'm wearing the gloss.

Performance

I think this gloss offers a nice sheen although it is not quite as shiny as other glosses I have used. It catches the light well and this particular shade is more light reflective than other shades. The gloss looks nice on bare lips but it can create a lovely depth if you use it over a lipstick. I would recommend pairing a pink or pale brown lipstick with this shade if you want a more intense result.

The gloss adheres well and only rubs off if I eat or drink something. It needs reapplying every four or five hours which I would say was the same as other brand glosses I have used.

Price and Availability

These glosses appear to have been phased out by the brand and as such they are currently being sold off in discounter stores in the UK. They have them at Poundland in all different shades from light to dark pinks, reds, purples and browns. They are £1 and I feel that their size means that this is a pretty appropriate price. You can also buy them online at places like Amazon Marketplace where their price is up to £4. I would not like to pay more than £3 for one of these as they are so small.

• Saraa23 published 31/10/2017