marsland1 5

marsland1

About me: Lost my mother recently so sorry for not being around much.

Member since:03.05.2010

A comfortable bed

08.06.2011

Advantages:
easy to use, lovely looking

Disadvantages:
wheels it attaches to aren't great

Safety

Ease of cleaning

34 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Zurich11
  2. lorriellah
  1. Coloneljohn
  2. KarenUK
  3. Spottydog11

This carry cot was bought separately to go with the Loola wheels that my daughter bought for our grandson. It is known as a 'travel system' as you buy various parts of it to accommpany your child throughout it's first few years of life. This carry cot clips onto the wheels and can be pushed along like a pram. As well as a carry cot you can also buy the pushchair element and a car seat element making your baby be able to travel around whichever way is appropriate for it's age.

Fitting it onto the wheels

This is easy to do surprisingly! It is only light so it's not hard to lift from the floor and up onto the top of the wheel section. There is a clip on each side for the carry cot to slot onto and then you hear it click into place so you know that it is secure. Once it's in place it is safe and your baby will be travelling along with no need to be strapped in.
Looks

Well this does look nice. It is mainly black with the sturdy plastic on the outside being black and the fabric hood and cover being black too. Inside there is bright purple and yellow patterns on the fabric which is quite vibrant so gives your newborn something interesting to look at and focus on. A few of these colours are found on a little motif of flowers on the side of the hood which is very effective. It's definitely more of a girlie carry cot but this didn't sway my daughter in buying this for my grandson so I guess it can be unisex!

Why use a carry cot?

The carry cot element is often not used very often as people tend to just transport their babies along on the wheels with a car seat on top but actually young babies should be kept lying flat for as long as possible to help keep their spine nice and straight. It is not advised for babies to be in car seats for more than a couple of hours so a carry cot is how a newborn should really travel along especially if it's for long periods of time.

If you have a carry cot your baby will be able to lie flat and sleep comfortably or be able to gaze up at the sky and see the world around them. I do like the carry cot style as they are more like a traditional pram.

How long will baby be in it?

This is the same size as a moses basket so your mattress will fit inside it (Although it does come with it's own) and the sheets will fit it too. As with a mosses basket your baby probably won't fit in this for much longer than 4 months. They do say it's 6 months but by the time my grandson got to 5 months he was filling this quite well and it was beginning to get quite uncomfortable for him. It was at this stage we used the car seat a bit more often as we didn't think he was quite ready to sit up in a pushchair yet.
Is it comfortable?

Your baby will be more than comfortable in this. The sides are nicely padded so if your baby rolls or flails an arm around it won't hurt itself on the hard plastic as the padding is thick enough. It is comfortable too because the hood pulls up quite far which will protect your baby's eyes from any bright light. The cover slips on easily which helps to keep draft off your baby but won't really keep it warm so to ensure your baby is as snuggly and comfortable as possible then you will need to use more than this cover- a blanket or two will suffice.
Is it easy to use?

I think so and I'm not a practical person at all, I don't even know how to work our DVD player! I find it is easy to put onto the wheels and it is easy to move teh hood up and down. I like to have the hood up so baby can be protected and look around at the pattern inside but if I do move the hood back down it is easy to do so and it only takes a matter of seconds. The cover slips on easily and fits well but isn't so tight that it's hard to get on.
What's pushing it around like?

It is fine to push around, the hood isn't too tall for you to not be able to see over it so it won't distort your view even though it does look like it's quite high. The wheels themselves are quite small so it's slightly bumpy and not the smoothest of rides and I wouldn't want to take it on rough terrain too often as I'd worry it would jerk the baby around too much.
Taking the carry cot off

This is easy to do too although if the baby is still inside it you do have to try to keep a steady hand so as not to jerk the baby around. It is much easier to do without a baby inside so it's obviously lighter and you can be less careful! The handle on the top of the hood is a great design as you hold it there whilst you release the clips and then lift it off.
Sleeping time

We use this carry cot in our house instead of a moses basket. When our grandson comes to stay this is what he slept in seeing as he came along with his travel system so it saved having to bring a moses basket. It is just as comfortable if not more than a wicker basket as it's very well padded and just the same size. My grandson slept in this quite happily indeed and I would often find him gazing up at the pattern fascinated by it which was nice to know he could be entertained by it instead of having a cry upon wakening!
Conclusion

This is a brilliant carry cot. I am not overly impressed by the Loola wheels themselves which this attaches to but in terms of a carry cot this is absolutely perfect.

It is lovely in design with the pattern being bright and a focal point for young eyes to gaze at but with it just mainly being inside the hood it isn't too striking!

It is easy to take on and off the wheels and is rather light so you don't have to struggle with it when carrying it around. There is a handle on top of the hood which makes it easy to carry too which I think is a great design.

I think babies look lovely in pram bodies like this instead of in their car seats, it's much more traditional and I always liked having my grandson lying in this and seeing the world from a different angle as I pushed him along. I do think it looks lovely.

If you are considering this travel system then I do recommend this as it is lovely and the other parts which come with it are nice too although you may want to think carefully about purchasing the wheels if you do live on rough terrain or go on the countryside walks a lot.

Coloneljohn 25.06.2011 17:01

Sounds rather good. John

KarenUK 17.06.2011 14:21

This sounds really good :-)

Zurich11 15.06.2011 12:59