Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Cat Eyes

Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Cat Eyes

Review of "Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Cat Eyes"

published 14/11/2011 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Good
Pro Lengthens and coats mascara well, Kind To eyes
Cons Doesn't give volume as it claims to.
Ease of Application
Waterproof?
Does it irritate your eyes?

"Just an 'OK' mascara!"

I'm always on the hunt for new mascara that will give my lashes length and volume. I have seen this specific mascara advertise a few times on the TV and thought it sounded and looked very good. My last really god mascara was made by maybelline and I really like their range of products so, I decided to give the mascara a try to see how good it really is.

***THE MASCARA***
The mascara is made by Maybelline who make a large range of make up and cosmetics products, which are available to buy in local Supermarkets, Boots & Superdrug stores. The mascara comes sealed in cardboard packaging which has a clear plastic holder which holds the mascara in place. This is only available in the one colour which is black, it doesn't actually state on the packaging whether this is water-proof or not, how-ever this didn't really bother me too much. The tube the mascara comes in is bright yellow tube which is quite fat. The writing on the tube is in a bronze colour and has a leopard print type pattern on the lid/top of the tube. This must have something to do with the name of the product as it's called Cat Eyes. This product is quite new and claims to flick out and extend the look of lashes at the corners with up to 7 x more volume. The brush is unique and they call it a 'Claw Brush' which helps to flick out and extend the look of the lashes.

***PRICE/AVALIABILITY***
I purchased this from Boots and it cost me £7.99. This is also available to buy at some supermarkets and also Superdrug stores.

***USING THE PRODUCT***
The mascara is easy to hold as the tube is quite chunky and the lid is also chunky. The first thing I noticed was the curved brush. This was different to other mascara brushes I have tried recently which tend to be made of plastic or that soft flexible rubber. Although I've used a lot of different mascara's I was worried that I might end up poking myself in the eye, so I was going to be very careful when applying the product. The mascara had a slight smell to it, which I have never noticed in mascara, which I've used before. The smell, how-ever isn't over-powering, so this didn't really put me off at all. Before applying the mascara I used some eye-lash curlers to help make my lashes look even more volumised. (Always do this before applying mascara otherwise lashes will stick to the mascara, which can cause the lashes to break and pull). I applied one coat of mascara and although it gave a nice coat to my lashes I wanted them a bit darker so I re-applied the mascara twice more. This may sound as though it's a lot, how-ever this didn't look too much and it looked just about right. The mascara brush applied a nice even coat to my lashes and it was easier to use than what I thought it would be. Because the brush is curved so much, this helps when coating the lashes and helps to give them volume.

***RESULTS***
I stood back and admired my eyes in the mirror. The mascara does make it look as though my lashes are slightly extended, how-ever I didn't think it gave so much volume. The mascara did give some volume but not as much as I thought and this was even after using eye-lash curlers. I felt as though other mascara's I have previously used have given my lashes better volume than this mascara did. This doesn't really matter, if I'm only going out in the day as I don't want my eye's to look too heavy or dramatic, how-ever if I go out for a night on the town, I definitely want more volume and bolder looking lashes. The mascara is long lasting and doesn't flake off or smudge during the day or the evening. I suffer from dry, sensitive eyes sometimes and this mascara was kind to my eyes. It didn't irritate my eyes or make them itchy or dry which was a really good bonus of the product. The mascara is hard-wearing and last's the whole day, before having to remove it at the end of the night. The mascara is easily removed with facial wipes.

***OVERALL OPINION***
I will continue to use the mascara until I have run out and then I think I may try a different product. This is great mascara but I don't think it gives as much volume as it claims to give and this was really disappointing, especially as it was quite an expensive mascara for me to buy, as I don't often like spending too much money on mascara. I would recommend this to other's if you don't want too much volume and you prefer a more subtle natural look as this is really good for this kind of look. I give this mascara 3 stars, just due to the fast that it coats the eye-lashes and makes lashes look extended, the mascara is also long lasting and kind to eyes. I can't give it anymore stars than this though as it doesn't live up to it's claim of 7 x more volume. After using this product which cost £7.99 I would definitely be tempted to spend a bit more money on mascara for a better result.

(review also on dooyoo)

• danielclark691 published 25/03/2017
    well reviewed
  • catsholiday published 14/11/2011
    Sounds an okay mascara - nicely reviewed.
  • JAVER1967 published 14/11/2011
    An excellent and interesting review.

offers "Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Cat Eyes"