Review of "Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick"

published 21/08/2017 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Hi, I enjoy writing and reading reviews. Thanks for your rates and comments. xx
Pro Nice formula and shade.
Cons Case is badly designed.
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Is This Lipstick Sensational?"

Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick

Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick

I love to buy make-up items when they are reduced and I recently found this Maybeline Colour Sensational Lipstick in my local Wilkinson store. It was only 50p which I thought was an absolute bargain. At that price I would have purchased the lipstick even if I hadn't been sure if I liked the shade but after looking at the base to see the colour of the lipstick it was a colour I would normally have opted to buy anyway.

Packaging

The lipstick has a rectangular shaped case. The lid covers most of the inner tube. The lid is bright pink so it conceals the top of the lipstick and you have to check the base to see the colour of the lipstick. There is a little sticker on the base which shows an accurate representation of the shade. The name and number of the shade is also provided on this label.

The case clicks together very well and stays shut when the lipstick is in transit inside my handbag. No knocks can dislodge the top.There isn't much of a base to grab hold of as you open up the case. It's a sliver of silver which I find slips out of my fingers sometimes as I go to pull the lid off the lipstick. When the lid is removed the inner tube twists in a clockwise direction to push up the lipstick. I have to say that the second time I used this lipstick the top half of the twisting tube popped up and broke. I managed to push it back down so that the twisting mechanism worked again but I think the overall design of the lipstick could be improved.

The Shade

I have the shade 150 'Stellar Pink' which is a pale and delicate pink with a soft silver shimmer. I would describe the effect as being a subtle glimmer rather than a loud gaudy sparkle. This is a shade I feel comfortable wearing as it is very feminine and not too strong and yet it makes my lips glow and stand out. I would describe this as a day time shade although the shimmer effect does make it seem slightly more glamorous than some deeper or matte shades. This is a colour that is light reflective and which shines, enhancing and enlarging the lip area. It can be teamed with soft pastel blushers or eye shadows for a more natural look where the lips are the key feature.

There are many different shades available in this range including purples, reds, pinks and browns and there is also a matte range too.

Using The Lipstick

I really like the way that Maybelline have shaped the end of this lipstick. It is slanted but also curved slightly to fit the shape of your lips. I find the shape makes it very quick and easy to apply to every part of the lip. It basically takes one swipe over each lip and I don't need to touch up or apply another layer.

The lipstick has a lovely fragrance which is very strong. It smells a bit like a toffee apple or like strawberry laces. It's a sweet, foody smell which I think most women will like. It is so powerful that I can still smell it for a long time after it has been applied to my lips. The first time I used this lipstick I wasn't aware it was fragranced and I kept smelling this cookie aroma everywhere I went! Teens and younger girls may adore the fragrance and find it a fun design factor.

The lipstick has a nice consistency that feels creamy but not too soft. It spreads onto my lips with ease and it adheres very well. The lipstick doesn't feel heavy or sticky and I can't feel the shimmer. The formula feels very soft and it also seems to moisturise my lips to some extent. I can apply the lipstick immediately onto the lips without using a balm first. This is great as it means my lipstick lasts for longer and that the colour is stronger.

I find that the lipstick transfers a little bit. It comes off in smudgy pieces if I drink from a glass. I find it easier to wipe off the remaining lipstick and reapply the whole lip than try and patch it up. I would say the lipstick lasts for up to four or five hours on me if I don't eat or drink.

The lipstick can be wiped off easily at the end of the day. I can just use a dry tissue or a wet wipe. I don't need a special make-up remover to take the lipstick off.
Overall Thoughts

I'm pleased I purchased this lipstick. It is a lovely feminine shade and it looks great on my lips. The colour and style really suit my tastes. I love the texture and consistency of the lipstick and how easy it is to apply. I'm happy with how long the lipstick lasts throughout the day. The only thing I dislike is the cheap plastic case. The base is way too small to hold and it feels slippy. The inner tube is also perhaps prone to breaking. I would definitely repurchase this lipstick although I'd probably look for a sale version as no matter how good the actual lipstick is I feel the case lets it down and I would be concerned that it could break immediately after the purchase.

Price and Availability

This lipstick is available from stores like Boots in the UK. At Boots it is priced at £6.99 and there are 14 shades listed on the online shop.

• siberian-queen published 03/09/2017
    great review
  • euphie published 26/08/2017
    e :o)
  • 2mennycds published 24/08/2017
    great review

offers "Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick"